1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Mavman is back with more tranny probs......

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Mavman117
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mavman is back with more tranny probs......

Ok so first off this is Mavman but the forum has apparently forgotten my email so I had to make a new account. Now onto the real reason why I am here.

Ok so I had my tranny rebuild approx 12,000 miles ago in Jan/Feb 2010 so less than one year. I was going around a turn tonight and all of a sudden the whole driverside felt like the tire had hit something and slowed the car down alot. As i came outta the turn and pulled to the side I could hear rubbing and could see the tranny fluid line from where I drove. I proceeded to drive the 4 blocks to my house so that it was off the road. Question is that I have a feeling that a pin fell again and I was told that when the tranny was rebuilt that the pin that usually falls out and blows the bellhousing would be welded into place so what else could come out and blow the bell housing without any warning???

Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 AM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw one of these with the same deal. I had to get parts for my Stratus at a trans shop. On the lift, he had an Avenger with a blown diff pin. The shop owner said this is the 2nd trans in this guys car with that problem. The shop installed a new trans (old one was blown apart), and welded pin to the differential housing and installed case saver kit. I got to see the carnage of the pin blown to peices, one of the case saver tabs bent over and a clear view thru the trans from the bottom to the top. I also noticed the guys avenger had a completely bald LF tire, RF was 50
% and rears looked new. I wonder if the car was beat on?

Old 01-09-2011, 02:15 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I have heard the same thing ...
I'm not positive but have heard that the welding can "harden" the bellhousing case. If the pin shifts it hits the hardened area and cracks.
I had mine rebuilt by level10 and they used a pin locking device to not do the welding it was redone in 99 and has been rocksolid even with the 100+ shots of NOS

Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 PM
22DODGE22

Isn't the bellhousing case made out of aluminum? I don't know if welding that would cause the pin to fail. I can't believe you've got 100+ shot of NOS going into one of these transmissions and no failures. My Stratus trans failed in bone stock configuration and no power adders and no beating.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:32 AM
Mavman117

Well they replaced the case last time since you could fit your fist through the hole the pin made and they supposedly welded the pin onto the shaft so that the pin would never drop again. I finally got it to the shop and they will be calling me today or tomarrow hopefully but I will let you guys know what the problem is. I just hope the they do not try to deny me on the warrenty because if they do I will have to get rid of the car....

Old 01-10-2011, 06:43 AM
22DODGE22

If you broke the pin again, chances are warranty will be denied due to abuse. I found out what causes the pin to break is due to getting stuck or beating the car where one wheel spins like mad and the other isn't turning.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Mavman117

They probly will say that I was hard on the car or something but just because I live in an area where if I go onto the more traveled streets or leave my apartment building the car is on such a bind that one wheel will spin for a split second and then hit ground is not my fault. And if you think that is bad it is hilarious when I try to take my brother-in-law's rx7 up the driveway when we first got it. If you went up at the wrong angle the car would stop and the one tire would just sit there and spin like mad lol. Now that is funny though.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Mavman117

Well it is the 27th and I have been without a car for a month now. The transmission shop has had the car for 3 weeks now and the only conclusion that they have come to is that the pin dropped. Wow took them that long and I TOLD them then lol. Now they are "Trying to figure out how the pin dropped." Sounds to me they are looking for a reason to not cover it. Apparently they haven't found one yet lol. Like I said I didn't abuse it. Also they are now saying that they didn't weld it and that they only put an upgrade kit that puts clips on that pin. Anyone ever heard of this before???

Also any bets as to how long they will have it?? I say they keep it until the warenty expires in about 3 more weeks lol. If they say that the warenties out at that point I know I will be making a few calls lol.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:54 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

the "clip kit" is very common it consists of two little angles that bolt to the ring gear and hold the pin in place, If they in fact did install one of these kits the pin would not have dropped without bending the angle so ask to see the failed "clip"

as for welding the pin this should be avopided as it will harden the pin itself(not the case) and the tip could break off and pin still drop.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:02 AM
22DODGE22

I saw a trans where the kit was used and it was folded in half and one of the side gears was found on top of the engine.

Quick Reply: Mavman is back with more tranny probs......