1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Please look at the pictures I put on and reply,, hole in manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:36 AM
jahorman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please look at the pictures I put on and reply,, hole in manifold

Hello,, well i have been trying to figure out why my 98 avenger cuts out when i accelerate... Anyways I was looking tonight and in the front right in the middle of the manifold there is a hole,, would this be causing my problems.. I assume it is because it is sucking in air there right.... And please tell me what this is called, This is on the bottom half,, is it the bottom manifold and if I buy a new one do they come in 2 peices,, sorry i dont know a whole lot... I seafoamed this car and cleaned all the sensors and throttle body and really got it running alot better except for the stutter and when on the highway it cuts out some,, just please anyone tell me if you think this is why and is this a red flag,, should i get this fixed as soon as possible or can i keep driving it like this... Will it hurt anything or is it sucking dirt and crud in there... THank you... I put on 2 pictures I hope they work,,,

Attached Thumbnails Please look at the pictures I put on and reply,, hole in manifold-phpnld452pm.jpg   Please look at the pictures I put on and reply,, hole in manifold-php1quygcpm.jpg  

Last edited by jahorman; 01-21-2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: my pictures arent on here
Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 AM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres nothing wrong with that hole from what i can see.
when its running try pluging it with your finger. I think youll find there is no suction there
from thes pics it looks like the casting has a seperation between runners in that area looks like its supposed to.

lower 1/2 is called the intake manifold
upper 1/2 is called intake manifold plenum

Old 01-21-2011, 02:35 AM
jahorman

Ok thanks alot man,,, i was stressin thinking i had to replace all of that... I need to get new plugs and wires and get them in and see how it runs... Heh no one ever answered this question,, the car usually only idles at about five hundred rpm... Isnt that low...how could i up it..

Old 01-21-2011, 02:16 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

clean out the IAC and its passages, as well as clean out the throttle body(especially the little ridge of carbon that forms behind the throttle plate(aka butterfly)

Old 01-21-2011, 07:22 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

if that dont work find and adjust this screw
http://

Old 01-21-2011, 10:17 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thats the crossover in the lower manifold it feeds the rear cylinders alternately. Normal

Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 AM
jahorman

When you say normal,, u mean that hole is OK or is it a problem,,, I tried putting my finger over it but i dont feel any suction.... I dont know I give up, I need to just take it to a shop and have them check it for me.... It starts right up Idles around 600 rpm,,, sounds good and when I drive it,, it runs great except a certain point on the throttle.. If I give it gas slowly so the rpms go up to around 1200 it goes ok but if i hit the throttle just right so the rpms go to around 1400 it wants to cut out and die,, so I give it hell,, a lot of throttle and its fine,, and when im not going very fast like 10 miles an hour or under if I let off of the throttle to fast the rpms go way down to 0 and sometimes it dies or the engine will bounce back up and stay running but if I let off the throttle slowly it doesnt do this... Im lost....

Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It's normal it is not a hole the casting feeds all 6 cylinders they feed the front and rear cylindrs alternately and this is the crossover between the front and the rear runners

Old 01-25-2011, 04:12 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

maybe a dead spot on the throttle position sensor??

Old 01-26-2011, 03:48 AM
jahorman

Yah i didnt know what i was doing but i took the throttle position sensor off tonight to look at it,, thought i was going to clean it but there was nothing to clean,, and then when i put it back on the car runs worse now... Think i will get a new one of these,,, can i put it on myself or does a dealer have to set something...

Quick Reply: Please look at the pictures I put on and reply,, hole in manifold