1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 12:43 AM
tbone200618
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission help

ok guys i need alot of help i just got my transmission fluid and filter changed not to long ago and i took the car on a 1500 mile road trip and when i got back the tranny started making this weird whinning noise so i parked the car and let it sit overnight then drove it another 60 miles the next day and it was fine then it started doing it again but this time not only the noise but it started to slip when i was going down the road it had progressively gotten worse and i put TRANSX into it hoping that it would stop my problem like it says on the can but that didnt help and now going down the road it wont shift hardly at all it will go into 1st and then slip then go into 2nd but that is it no 3 or overdrive at all no matter what speed i am going i have had a couple people tell me its the shifting module but i dont know where that is at to check and see if there is something wrong there or not so could anyone please help me out with this and tell me where the shifting module is at on the tranny or where at at all or just what is wrong with my car please someone help quickly

Old 06-06-2006, 01:37 AM
73AMX401
Default RE: transmission help

I just found out that is what's wrong with my Avenger ES. I saw a diagram on yahoo auto help or something like that. I searched for torque converter clutch solenoid. The answer said that Dodge put the shift solenoid and the torque converter clutch solenoid together and the diagram showed it being right above the transmission pan. I've looked on the internet but I couldn't find a replacement so it looks like a dealer item.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:41 AM
73AMX401

here is the page. autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl450g.htm

Old 06-06-2006, 01:42 AM
tbone200618

thanks for that and could you by chance send me a link to that site where you found that out so that i can see what side of the tranny it is on or what not and are you for sure this is what my problem is not to seem like im not taking you advice i just want to be sure about this

Old 06-06-2006, 02:15 AM
73AMX401

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl450g.htm
looks like its on the front side facing the radiator because the tab is in the middle and cut side of the trans pan is on the right

Old 06-06-2006, 02:50 AM
tbone200618

ok that didnt help at all i unhooked the thing and drove it and it kinda seemed fine when i stopped i had to get the car up to like 2000 rpm's before it would go into gear but after that it was fine i dont know if it was supposed to stay in 1st gear or not but it did no matter how fast i went or how slow i went then i came back home and reconnected the thing and took the car back out and it was exactaly the same as when i took it off so i dont know what is wrong with my car is there anyone out there that can offer me some more advice on the situation i need to get this fixed as this is the car that i am taking to college with me and that is a 800 mile drive and i am going to be driving the car everyday so i really need to get this problem fixed and it still has the whining noise if anyone could tell me what that is all about

Old 06-06-2006, 02:52 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The way to check the coilpack is to put your car in gear with the window rolled down. Now listen for a racheting noise as you put it into gear. How many miles are on the car?
The slipping could be caused by the torque converter but my question is to you, tbone. Was the tranny slipping before you had the tranny oil and filter changed? Did you have it purged or just the filter changed out and the the pan oil dumped and filled? The reason I ask is because the A604 transmission is very picky about it's oil. MOPAR ATF+3 is the recommended fluid. No, the tranny doesn't choose it's fluid and acts out if it doesn't get it, the internal tolerances are what help determine that. So if you went to a TimeItLube or something like that and had it done, chances are, that's what's doing harm.....take it to the dealership and have them flush it out and refill it with the MOPSR ATF+3, if it isn't too late.

That's where I would start, but that's just me.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:56 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If it's stuck in first gear....you're SOL...sorry. That's called limp mode and it means it requires some tranny work, whether it be the coilpack, torque converter, fluid, gears..whatever. Do you have a check engine light (CEL) at all?

Old 06-06-2006, 03:12 AM
tbone200618

ok first off thanx for the info and to answer your ?'s there is not ratcheting noise when i **** it into drive it doesnt do anything until i rev the car up to about 2000 rpm's then it will just kick into gear and start whining there is 137,000 miles on the car before i had the tranny done and i dont know if it was purged or not or just dumped and filled but i can ask the guy and im pretty sure that he didnt use that mopar tranny fluid that you talked about and for the sliping before i had it done it was doing it very very very little hardly noticeable unless you were specifically paying attention to that and watching very cloesly to that and that is the reason that i had the fluid and everything changed but dont know if it was purged or not

Old 06-06-2006, 04:15 AM
tbone200618

silvercoupe do you have anything for this and no i dont shot a CEL light in the car

Quick Reply: transmission help