1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

1995 Avenger..

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 12:19 AM
NEONRT98
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Avenger..

Alright guys, I am going to be honest.. I am not an Avenger owner, I like Neons.. But my friend's daughter is looking for her first car.. I found an avenger for 900 bucks that has some bumps and bruises on it, but mainly cosmetic...

Here is what I know so far...

1995 Dodge Avenger ES
V6 24v w/ ATX
120k miles

I was wondering if you guys could supply me with some information as to common problems with these cars, advantages, disadvantages, questions to ask the seller and of course if this would be a good first car for a girl..

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 08-06-2006, 12:54 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: 1995 Avenger..

Make all the necessary "before a long trip" check of the car and it's motor, then take it for a drive to warm up the fluids and motor. While driving, it's ideal to check the brakes and suspension. Do a few hard braking tests for severe brake fade or poor braking. Go over a few bumpy roads for the suspension check. Also check the steering making sure the belt doesn't squeal or the steering wheel doesn't stutter while turning from a stop.

The big thing with this car...well, any auto for that matter is the tranny and it's fluid. Ask what kind of tranny fluid is in it, when it was changed/flushed last, has it ever gone into "limp" mode, has the CPS sensor ever been changed. Listen for the ratcheting noise when shifting to drive and make sure it's not super loud which could mean that the relay clutch pack was checked (you have to remove the clutch pack cover which then makes it loud). Ask if the clutch pack was serviced and/or replaced (there's a newer version which is quiet even with the cover removed). Check the tranny dip stick for shavings

My 2.5 had a little more miles on her than the one your friend is looking at but mine was 80% highway miles and it ran smooth. It's not a fast car and I didn't treat it as such...the one that's in question may not have been, so listen to the exhaust for any backfiring (subtle or distinct), listen to the motor for any subtle odd noises, any good motor will sound smooth, listen to the intake for any hiccups, if it has lifter tick..check the oil (as one normally does) for discoloration or coolant and check the coolant for oil.

That's all I can think of at the moment. These cars can be very reliable depending on its previous owner(s). Over all, it's not a bad car, just know that it's an older car and it can have issues. A good 30 minute "drive it like you stole it" ride can give you a good idea of how well or how crappy it was cared for. Good luck to your friend.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:57 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Oh yeah...
advantage to these cars is that they are and can be reliable as with any car, they look fast, lol...good crash test, roomy backseat and trunk..

disadvantage is that they are slow for a V6 (17 second car)...that's really about it. There's really nothing that can go wrong with this car that won't or hasn't with any other car that's the same age.

..and IMO, it would be a good first car for a girl or anyone for that matter.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:38 AM
NEONRT98
All Star

Sweet, I think you covered everything I wanted to know. I think we may go look at it tomarrow, see if she likes it.. if she does, I will take it for a whirl around the block a few times.. and I can drive it like I stole it... Thats all I do to my Neon heh heh.. I will get back with you guys about whether we got it or not!

Thanks again!

Old 08-06-2006, 10:27 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Just make sure to give it hell when test driving...to a point anyway, lol. I guess, giving it a hard drive is a better description. You don't want to break it, lol, you just want to make sure that it can still take a beating if that moment calls for it.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:10 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

Well, I test drove it today.. Its going to need an oil change, sounds like there is a small exhaust leak somewhere.. I know these cars have a balljoint problem, and I think this one will need them replaced.. If its not the balljoints, its the suspension.. Is there a common problem with these cars and a motor vibration in lower MPH? I am thinking maybe a compression issue.. Other than that, the passanger seat needs fixed- it doesn't lock.. There is some body work that needs done, mainly a front bumper maybe a driver side fender depending.. Any common problems with these cars I need to know of.. they are only asking 900 bucks for this car.. the transmission seems pretty solid, got on it a few times.. passing gear is good, forgot to check OD.. I'd like to get it out on the highway too.. None the less, I am going to have my mechanic take a look at it if my friend's daughter is still interested in it.. the interior is in almost perfect condition, thats a plus! And its the higher model w/ the nice stereo! Any other advice is greatly appreciated guys! I want to find a car dependable enough to go atleast 20 mile trips.. She lives about 5 miles from school, I think it will be OK for that, atleast...

Oh yes, and the prior owner(s) were female *COUGH*...

Old 08-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Driftersdr

check the spark plugs for oil... letcha know right off the bat if you need a main gasket seal job... those spark plug tubes are notorious for that...

Old 10-09-2006, 03:30 AM
madwomyn

silvercoupe97, does it top out at seventeen seconds? Really?

I bought myself an old '95 Avenger ES and it still blows at seven and a half seconds. (10 if it's cold.)

Quick Reply: 1995 Avenger..