1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

99 avenger dies everytime i stop.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:55 AM
blinksweet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 avenger dies everytime i stop.

I'm getting really annoyed with this car!! I have a 99, 6 cylinder, es. I have replaced the fuel filter, replaced spark plugs, new 02 sensor (before convertor), new tps, and pcv valve. And i can hear the fuel pump kick in. I ran through a pretty deep puddle a couple of weeks ago, and ever since the 'check engine' light has been on. so the puddle ended up cracking my exhaust manifold completly in half. I replaced that too!! so dummy me, i was tired of looking at the check engine light, and unhooked the battery and now all the codes have disapeared!
This is my problem: in order to get it to start i have to give it a ton of gas, and then every time i stop it stalls out. the rpm's immediatly drop down to one, and if you dont floor it to give it more gas it just dies. If anyone has any ideas at all, i would be most appreciative.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:05 PM
cky00
Default RE: 99 avenger dies everytime i stop.

if you have the money then take it to a mechanic asap .... theyll be able to figure it out and charge you way to much to fix it

Old 10-01-2006, 08:04 PM
TODD0341
Rookie

If you can.....drive it around until the codes show back up. If they are still a constant then they should..give it a shot.
Could be your crank angle sensor..they go bad in these cars all the time.
Also. check your conections of the relays on the firewall

So many things can screw these cars up so badly.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:58 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Did you change the o2 sensor that was housed in the exhaust manifold? It could have gotten contaminated. Your ECU probably isn't seeing lower fuel consumption at the lower RPMs and may not be compensating for it because the o2 sensor(s) aren't relaying the info.

Like Todd stated though, there could be other things that may have gone bad, but the o2 sensor comes to mind first since you pointed out the manifold.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:24 AM
blinksweet

Ok, so i took it to auto zone today, (sad that im excited my check engine light finally came back on),and they hooked it up to the comp. thingy. It threw a code saying i was having misfire issues. so i replaced the spark plugs and all wires. i think i mis-stated in my previous post, i had not replaced plugs or wires until today--only check them and they looked fine.
well anyways, still the same problem. except since yesterday, it will barely even start. ugh! as soon as it does, not even 2 seconds later the rpm's drop and she dies. one good thing, im getting really good at driving two-footed. LOL!!

Old 10-03-2006, 01:38 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Check your distributor points and the rotor too. The misfire brings the CPS to mind since it tells the computer the position of the crank, thus, when to fire what cylinder.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:46 PM
blinksweet

Hi again, I took the car the my dodge dealer yesterday, they hooked it up to the comp. thingy again. THey said it would not read anything past the MAP sensor. So I replaced that, and what da ya know, the thing still dont work properly! Although, it does idle now..wahoo!! so today i went and got the other two 02 sensors and i guess theres also throttle sensor, so .....we shall see.
oh and i also got the fuel injectors cleaned...ugh!!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:23 PM
jp_greenville13
Rookie

It is you EGR valve. i just fixed the same problem.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:52 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

Yo it might be sumthin as simple as water in your fuel lines. Did you check that first it the easiest and cheapest thing to do. They sell sum stuff you put into your gas tank that suppose to get rid of the H20 in you tank. I agreee with the other post with changing and checking all these parts, but you are having the same prob my grams was when she supposidly found "cheap gas" after the hurrican.

The guy I bought this car from said during the hurrican the car got hydro-locked and he replaced alot of parts to get her running again. I could hit him up on his cell if you want. In my 1st post this what he changed on my wip, there is more:

Ok the Details as of 5/5/00 This has what been changed:
Short Block - $2,925 Thermostat & Gasket - $14.50
Air Filter - $29.44 Upper Rod Hose - $16.56
Spark Plugs - $14 Lower Rod Hose - $14.82
ALT Belt - $14 Coolant - $15
A/C P/S Belt - $ 24.40 Oil & Filter - $10
Timing Belt - $80.10 Freon & Oil - $45
Clutch Kit - $350 Head Bolts - $17.80
Water Pump - $78.26 2 Cam Seals - $ 11.20
Upper Gasket Kit - $115 Crank Seal - $ 5.35
Lower Gasket Kit - $57.50 Total - $3837.93

Quick Reply: 99 avenger dies everytime i stop.