1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Please Not the Timing Belt!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 11:50 AM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Not the Timing Belt!!

I noticed when the engine is running that I hear a clicking sound but not on every revolution so I know it nutting with the pistons valves or crank. But is on the leftside where my belts are down at the bottom. Like bad lifters but I have DOHC so I know it aint that. But it like... Aight u know how the belt runs a certain way around each pulley well it seems like when it gets to a certain pulley it clicks thats how slow the sound is. Im prayin its not the belt. The sound speeds up when I give her throttle, Im thinking maybe oil, or power steering pump. She is about due for another oil change im using sythentic, I don't know what the last guy used up until I got her but Im stickin with it. Umm what else can I say... oh my mom has been luggin her ALOT keeps trying to move the car in 3rd, I told her to burn the clutch rather than lugg my engine or else she paying 4 my rebuild.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:52 PM
army avenger
Default RE: Please Not the Timing Belt!!

On the front of your timing belt cover you should have an inspection cover remove that and start it up if the sound is louder when the cover is removed it might be your timing belt also with it off rotate the engine by hand so you could check the whole belt.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:42 AM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

Yo I called around for the timimg belt to be replace lowest was $800highest $1,300. I mean yo!! we he showed me that I was ready to sell the car[sm=bomb.gif]. They said its the Timing Belt, HydraulicTensioner and sum sprocket kit. But the shop was charge $500 for labor right off the back! KMBA!! I got the money but Damn I don't want to spend that much at least tho in sum horses with that. I just got the vavle cover change for $250 and called it good.

I understand they have to move the motor to get at it so thats 3-4 hours right there. Someone any1 who has this done tell me there is a cheaper way cuz Mardi Gras is comeing up Feb 20 and I don't want to be stuck out there with a broke down car.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:42 PM
josef15111
Veteran

Hey Pappi!! My car is making the same noise right now! its like this i start the car and you hear a clicking noise and it comes and goes just every now and then. something like this yo clik clik clik no click for bot 2 sec and the click clik clik etc..... i was wondering if maybe it is my timing belt to. Plus i have the v6. I WAS WONDERING HOW HARD IT MAY BE TO DO IT MY SELF ANYONE DONE THIS WITH ADVICE????? sorry bout the caps..

Joe
95 es

Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

Correctino it wuz $1,300 for the beldt and Valve Cover gasket. I just got the gasket done and sum lady was nice enough to give me a $50 off coupon. But G-D@^N! $1,000. I found a friend who will do it for $600 but I haft buy the parts. Bout I found out that $800 was for timing,tensioner, water pump, and flush. Ima hit them back and just get the first to.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:57 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It sounds like the bearings in one or more of your pulleys Pappi. How's the car run otherwise? How's it sound with a load? If you had a stethiscope, I say to listen to the motor and pulleys.
I say the bearings because you said that it clicks as a "marked" part of the belt goes to one of the pulleys, right?
If your mom is running in 3rd and causing it to vibrate the entire car violently, then, yeah....tell not to do that, lol. That's too high of a gear for the load, at whatever speed she's going.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:44 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

I only hear the click when its really cold outside and the engine is cold. If its warm outside or if the engine is still warm I won't hear it. She is starting out in 3rd from a dead stop thinking its first. I don't know if the guy before had it replace along with the short block even if he did it was done in 2000. Lookin at the price to replace these Im saying the belt life is 10 years 150,000 miles. The car runs fine no problems thats y I been so hesitant to change it. After the timing Im gettin my shocks done and she should be finished.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:14 AM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

Yo I ended up breaking the waterpump and getting the timimng belt tensioner and waterpump replaced. But that wasn't the clicking sound it was the other belt which fell off. I was thinking bout driving it back to the shop but, Idon't know what all the belt turns besides the powersteering, alternator, and a/c. So I figured I check with yall to c if a brotha should drive or get that ho towed to the shop.

Quick Reply: Please Not the Timing Belt!!