1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

keyless entry??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:13 AM
99avenger420
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keyless entry??

I just bought a '99 Avenger sport 2.5 V6, it doesnt have the original keys or a remote. Is there anyway to find out if i have keyless entry? If so where is cheap place to find remotes and how to program?

Old 03-17-2007, 10:17 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: keyless entry??

Check with ebay for the key fobs, they have them there every so often. Also check with 95-99 Eclipse (any trim) and 95-98 Eagle Talon (any trim) for the key fobs. All these cars use the same remotes and freqs.
Here's the link to my write-up to programming the remote.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_537182/tm.htm

Old 03-19-2007, 02:41 AM
ls_monk

I am on the same boat as 99avenger420. How can I tell if my vehicle has keyless entry and I am just missing the remote.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:00 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I don't really know if there's a way to tell. My theory is that if the car has power locks, there's a good chance that there's also keyless interface already connected and installed and awaiting a programmed remote. This way the dealership can charge unsuspecting owners an arm and a leg and labor to easily program a key fob, all the while the owner thinks that they had to install an actual keyless interface.
I'm always curious about my car and if I wanted to find something like this out, I would just buy a cheap used fob or one of those replacements from ebay, program it and if you don't have it, you lose the price of the key fob. Or you can pay local garage to charge you the same amount just to have them tell you that all you need is the remote or a simple "no", lol.

If you have power locks, when you lock the door with the key, does the "security" light come on? Does it lock both doors? When you unlock the driver's door, does the second unlock motion unlock the passenger's door? If so, there's a good chance that the keyless interface is already there. I don't know exactly where the receiver is, but my books on Chrysler and Mitsu say it's in the rear driver's side wheel well area. On the rear seat side. I may have seen the receiver under the dash also (I think I mixed that up with another car though, lol).
If you know someone with an Eclipse/Talon/Sebring/Avenger who has a stock key fob, you can reprogram their remote to your car and then reprogram it again back to their car if you want to check and be sure.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:56 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

give me the last 8 of your vin number i will go onto chrysler site and i will get u a brake down of all of the options the car came with

Old 03-19-2007, 11:13 PM
spitfireflyr

The box/sensor is located under the side panel in the back seat on the drivers side. Just found it in my car while trying to figure out the interior lights.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:25 PM
ls_monk

If you could look up all the options for my avenger that would be cool. The last 8 digits for mine are VE091960

Old 03-20-2007, 11:13 PM
MoPaul
Rookie

was the keyless entry available without the security system? i haven't seen one that had only one. you would know if your car had a security system, if so, it should have keyless for the panic mode.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:34 PM
ls_monk

Does anybody know a site I could look up my VIN to see the factory installed options on my car? The guy whom I bought it from said it was just missing a remote. yet i can't find the box anywhere for it. Looked under the dash and in the back behind the side panel.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Foiled
Veteran

When you lock your car with the power locks look on the dash. If the green security light comes on then you have keyless entry.

Quick Reply: keyless entry??