1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

What you hate about your Dakota.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:27 AM
DakDaddy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InnerCityHillBilly
the horn is annoying, i have a nice sounding truck and when i lay on the horn it sounds like its comin out of some little rice burner, only if i could find the dukes of hazzard whistlin dixie horn
http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/di..._kit/3381.aspx

Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 AM
totman
Rookie

I hate-

- All the stupid little sensors I've been having to replace
- Rattle of the timing chain (going to fix that soon)
- How my seatbelt always hangs down and gets stuck in the door when I close it

other then those small things I love it, still wish I had the 318 tho haha

Old 02-24-2011, 07:56 AM
woodbutcher5691
Professional

I hated the POS excuse for an auto tranny they came up with. They built a nice truck,rode great and looked good and stuck a junky a$$ transmission in it. I sold it a couple months ago after the 3rd tranny died. The nearest auto was 110 miles away at $800. Nobody within 200 miles had a junker 5sp I could do a swap with. But I still lurk around here 'cause y'all a great bunch of folks.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by woodbutcher5691
I hated the POS excuse for an auto tranny they came up with. They built a nice truck,rode great and looked good and stuck a junky a$$ transmission in it. I sold it a couple months ago after the 3rd tranny died. The nearest auto was 110 miles away at $800. Nobody within 200 miles had a junker 5sp I could do a swap with. But I still lurk around here 'cause y'all a great bunch of folks.

lol lurkin here is cool and really imformative, and gives some of us old ones a chance to help younger gearheads and learn from you.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Soundguy
Professional

"Hate" is a pretty strong word so I'll stick with dislike. There's a certain charm about the Dakota's quirkiness. It is what it is.

I dislike:

1) The turning radius
2) The horrible Chrysler paint (love the Emerald green color though)
3) The fact that I can't fix my pass. seat back to fold fully forward for access to the back. (it goes halfway)
4) The myriad of new noises that come & go.....or don't go.

I like a lot more about this truck than I dislike. It's certainly not my old 75 F-100, but I never expected it to be.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:46 AM
verdesardog
Rookie

I hate that the crappy AX15 transmission broke twice and I hate that the rear self adjusting brakes have never self adjusted since it was new 266,000+ miles ago.

I love that I've never had a problem with the 3.9 V6 engine.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:23 PM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
the heat never turns off even with the switch turned all the way to cold
That x1,000,000.

I also hate that deer seem to be attracted to my truck.

Dakota: 3 Deer: ZERO

Old 02-24-2011, 09:54 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

no matter what brand you drive you will have problems. all the newer trucks seem to have crappy transmissions. my dad is on his second transmission in his 95 ford f150. he learned from from the first transmission that they are light duty transmissions and not heavy duty like they use to be. my dad use to really abuse the first 5 speed that was in his truck but he is taking it easy on the new one.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 AM
woodbutcher5691
Professional

I babied the hell out of the 2nd two trannys. IMO they are the weakest one ever made to go in a truck. I've my eye out for another Dakota but it will damn well have a 5sp. if I buy it.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:02 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by Soundguy
"Hate" is a pretty strong word so I'll stick with dislike. There's a certain charm about the Dakota's quirkiness. It is what it is.

I dislike:

1) The turning radius Come on turning radius aint no worse than a Semi with double trailer,er well close.

2) The horrible Chrysler paint (love the Emerald green color though). Emerald Green is fantastic, as fast as my paint is coming off maby it will end up a spray can special

3) The fact that I can't fix my pass. seat back to fold fully forward for access to the back. (it goes halfway) If we trade drivers seats we both will have a matched pair, one with seats that work, one with,lol.

4) The myriad of new noises that come & go.....or don't go. I find the new noises a challenge, of course the old ones have to be ignored cause if its still runnin they are not important..

I like a lot more about this truck than I dislike. It's certainly not my old 75 F-100, but I never expected it to be.
LOL loved my 75 ford till the tree jumped out behind it while muddin.lol the tree won truck was never right after that.

Try one of these, 90 mpg all rattles and quirkes built in when new.

Quick Reply: What you hate about your Dakota.