1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

What you hate about your Dakota.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:48 AM
bill55az
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug's Dakota
For the most part, I love this truck! BUT, I do hate the way it idles, thats #1. (1987 Dakota carburated) Don't know if it needs a new carb or egr or both
The idle circuit is pretty much the same as on pre feedback carbs, so your carb probably just needs correct adjustment or a rebuild....
or could be a vacuum leak, tighten the carb hold down bolts a bit, then disable EGR by pulling the hose and plugging the tap and see if that makes a difference, and then do the same for other vacuum taps. My car had an off idle hesitation that I tried to adjust for, turns out that the vacuum tap feeding egr and air pump was the cause, there is a leak somewhere. For now it remains disconnected....

Old 02-27-2011, 12:04 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bill55az
Doesn't the charger use 115mm wheels? 4.5" is 114.3 mm.......
that is exactly what i thought. the bolt pattern for 87-90 was 5 on 4.5. i know because i was looking for a spare tire for my 81 which has the same bolt pattern.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:13 PM
bill55az
Veteran
Smile

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
that is exactly what i thought. the bolt pattern for 87-90 was 5 on 4.5. i know because i was looking for a spare tire for my 81 which has the same bolt pattern.
Nice looking truck.....I have been looking for an early 80's short bed like that...
Right now I have a 2002 chevy truck that we travel in, a 2000 Impala that never gets far from our Utah home, an 80 diplomat that never gets far from our AZ home, and an 89 dakota project in Utah that is getting a 360 engine. I need one more truck, wife says I don't.....it's a dilemma....

BTW, have you considered adding the 92 and newer Magnum exhaust manifolds and Dakota Y pipes to your trucks?

Last edited by bill55az; 02-27-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:08 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i wish it was a short box but it is not. at least i got my 91 which is a shortbox. no i have not considered upgrading the exhaust. i have not even thought about using magnum manifolds and a Dakota y pipe. i have looked at long tube headers for my trucks but i would not get them unless i was to rebuild the engine in the 81. the manifolds leak but are extremely rusty so would not want to touch them unless engine is out of the truck.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:52 PM
DROPPEDKOTA21

Originally Posted by LUCKY40
I'm just happy that my Dodge is much better than my Chevy. I can actually see the speed-o-meter unlike in my Chevy because it went out or something. I like the analog speed-o-meter much more than the digital that I have in my Chevy. Now, I gotta figure out why my gas gauge is jumpy from 1/2 a tank to empty when I know I put more than a 1/2 a tank of gas in my truck.

okay first things first. have you replaced your fuel pump? if not its most likely the copper tabs on the pump gas meter there is a new chemical in gas the slowly eats the copper fuel meter on the pump so if that is whats happening soon you wont even have a fuel gauge and you have to replace the pump the meter isnt its own sepprate unit unfortunatley. if you have recently replaced the fuel pump double check the pump placement in the tank if it doesnt sit in the tank right it will read wrong. the easiest way to change the pump i have found is to take the bed off using a cherry picked or something of that nature i have succeded in doin it without one but these beds are quite heavy...lol hope this is helpful to you

Old 03-24-2011, 02:54 AM
89dakota318
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clunk that I can't fix

Old 03-27-2011, 12:26 AM
garyjrsonny

i dont know what you guys are talking about, i love my dakota! i wouldnt trade it for a brand new one straight up. and thats the gods honest trueth! i have had this truck sense high school(14yrs) went thru many girlfriends, one exwife, 3 homes, 8 cars, floods, hurricans, and a war. the one thing that has remained the same is THE DODGE! ive hauled more than 2 ton of rock in the bed 3 times, sunk it in a river, pulled 5000lb boat all over the state of kentucky. and still running strong at 17 yrs old! i will have this truck and still be driving it when i die! and i dont baby it either, but when it breaks i fix it and dont put it off till alot of things add up. in my opion for what it is, its probably one of the best vehicles ever made.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:23 PM
DarkKnite2009
Professional

AGREED^^^^^ just wish the turning radius was better thing is a -female dog- to park! lol

Old 03-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Soundguy
Professional

I'm pretty hating the whole truck right now....with all these electrical problems.

Total piece of crap in my opinion.

It was free but, it's going back to my brother-in-law if I can't fix this.

I'll walk.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Alacoque
Rookie

Originally Posted by Soundguy
I'm pretty hating the whole truck right now....with all these electrical problems.

Total piece of crap in my opinion.

It was free but, it's going back to my brother-in-law if I can't fix this.

I'll walk.
hahaha

Quick Reply: What you hate about your Dakota.