1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

What are your future plans for your Dak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:59 AM
89newbie
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

? O2 sensor will give bad mileage? Hmm, K wrong place but here goes you guys have been such a help, off brand problem. Dealer says nothing wrong with it. (found on road dead van). Spent rediculous bucks for checkout and they found nothing. Truck gets rotten gas mileage and I attributed it to load. when under any load on the interstate it misses like bad plug wires but its a coil over plug ignition. I have replaced plugs, replaced the mass air sensor. If I disconnect the battery and let it all reset it runs great for about three to 5 miles then starts it all over again. Any ideas out there?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:10 PM
fox
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
You can swap the speedo gear. It is very simple. Just in case you didn't see my post on the other thread here it is.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2287461-post3.html
Nah I didn't know you could do the gear swap cuz I thought it was all computer controlled. Im still torn though I could just do the speedo gear swap however the jet speed unit is programable in other words when i go from my 3.90 gears to some 4.10's I can program that on the jet unit and I might even go down to 32x11.50R15 tires I know an oddball size but a guy here sells them here pretty cheap. So I might still go with the jet unit. not that expensive only $100

Old 11-13-2010, 09:12 PM
VINCE 91
Professional

I just had the transmission rebuilt 3 weeks ago. next:

Quality shocks.

Slight power upgrade.

Single 3" exhaust.

Wheels-off a Durango

Timbren rear suspension overloads.

Complete interior/exterior detail.

Eventually paint.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:13 AM
89newbie
Captain

LOL as I reread this thread the first thing is DEER HORNS! rofl. Next is tires, then, did I mention deer horns? Have to fix the recline of the seat, dufas that had it, broke the plastic handle for recline. Any one out there have a 94 extended cab with a good one? Headliner, dufas put cuts in it, dont know if he was smuggling drugs just tried mumbly peg in reverse, but it is a mess. Did I mention Deer Horns. Mini spot mirrors and a battery exchange also. Clearcoat is fried on the roof and hood but that can wait till spring, unless I hit the lottery, lol gotta play to hit it as per wifie. Oh wifie just asked if I said Deer Horns. Ill bet you all think we have a deer problem here. Actually on Friday coming home from work one jumped out in front of me ran down the road on the oncoming side for about 100 yards, crossed back in front of me and back into the woods.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:16 AM
89newbie
Captain

Is this funny? Wifie just mentioned she really wants to Camo her 89 Sport. I mentioned it might be really hard for her favorite little Deer friends to see. Her reply," Im not worried, I haveDeer Horns!"

Old 11-22-2010, 09:13 PM
futurefordtech

1996 dakota 3.9 5spd
5.2 tb
new igntion system
2 inch drop on the rear to level it out
new wheels
new paintjob
rollpan
new seats

Old 12-26-2010, 11:14 PM
T.C.
Professional

Deciding whether to scrap my dakota, or to keep it, When I got it it was definetly rusty... And most people would scrap it though being a kid and not to bright I kept it.
Wanting to do:
Finish off the painting of the primer ( old paint was really bad)
Fix the rust
Add new paint on it probably satin black
Customize the interior
Through on a 5.9L V8
dual exhaust
Neon underglow
Air bag suspension
What done already:
Almost done the primer paint
Redid all of the wiring
Fix the interior to mint condition
New tire
Swap the rear diff
Flame thrower kit
Fix the distributor problem "major hassle"
makin a custom hand built grill
swapping both bumpers adding a end skirt on back
fixing the running boards
Though I ran out of money to keep going on it, I can;t even afford gas or the insurance lol, when I get more i will start her agian.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

5.9 swap now that i can afford it....lol

Old 12-27-2010, 11:46 PM
DAKOTAJIM
Professional

First i have to find a new job to pay for what i need done. Just developed a freeze plug leak so that is next in line might try it myself but just not much room in engine compartment with the 5.2L and only jack stands to work with. I'm familar with squeek, coming from my upper control arm bushings. Had new oil pump installed last month and mech said one of my motor mounds separtated when he raised engine to remove oil pan. Need trans filter and bands ajusted hesitates when going into reverse and third gear. Rear brakes i'm sure need to be replaced, believe it or not they are original, although i never hear a sound out of them afraid to look. Roof is rusting through along windshield and upper body needs repainted, lower half of body paint is still good might go two tone. I know this sounds like i've really neglected my truck but i was laid off two years ago and have not been able to find another job. If i was working all of these problems would have been solved already and would be doing mod work by now. Jobs down here in Florida are almost non-exsistant unless your a nurse or in the medical field, lots of elderly with problems. Hope next year is going to be a lot better. Happy New Year to all!

Old 12-28-2010, 02:20 AM
JDakota92
Veteran

Install nerf bars,
install Flowmaster muffler (Single 3" inlet, dual 2.5" outs),
new tires,
paint
360 swap (long time dream)

Quick Reply: What are your future plans for your Dak?