1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

What did you do to/with your truck today?

Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 PM
nemesis158
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got in a car accident:
What did you do to/with your truck today?-nilm8is.jpg
What did you do to/with your truck today?-7yigq5n.jpg

Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 AM
keilkravec
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OOhhhh dang man..I woke up and checked this on my phone and cringed..hope its savable man.

I ordered a set of slotted rotors for my truck and getting ready to send him the the shop for front suspension work. Need control arm bushings and shocks

Old 03-09-2014, 11:31 AM
JDakota92
Veteran

Finally did the plenum and intake gaskets. Cleaned and replaced the valve covers. Now just have to do the fuel pump.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:53 PM
JunkYard5_2
Amateur

Installed the factory fogs. All factory parts from the lights all the way back to the switch. For a minute I thought "I'm finally done with my truck", then I thought "man I need to drop the front end a little bit". Ho Hum, suspensions is next I suppose.

Pic's tomorrow for those interested in what a 91-96 Dak looks like with sealed beams, factory fog valence/fogs and a 2" cowl hood

Old 03-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Alacoque
Rookie

Replaced my coolant for the first time in who knows how long... 50k, 100k? Also put a new thermostat in

Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

Took out the old corroded ect sensor and broke the new one installing it. Fml back to the auto store.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:34 PM
chopper240
Default What I did to my 92 dakota

Installed a used 5.2 from a 96 Durango, what a disaster. I asked auto recycler for a direct replacement motor. I was in a HUGE hurry to fix vehicle for a out of town job. Quickly discovered my harness would not plug into ANY sensor on new motor. No big deal swap all sensors. Discovered the new intake was different from my old intake. No big deal swap intake. My old motor has EGR, new motor did not. Swap more sh*t. Had to swap exhaust also. Installed motor in vehicle, all brackets, accessories,belts,fans,radiators. Purposely left off flex plate dust cover and left flex plate bolts for very last step. Installed 3 bolts on flex plate and 4th bolt would not line up. Quickly broke out in cold sweat and felt a wave of dread wash over me. Tried to rotate flex plate in hopes that it was clocked and would line up. 4th bolt never lined up. Pull motor back out swap flex plate, put it all back together. FML @!#$#@@#. Now to address the no start issue that pops up once in a while. Installed upper and lower ball joints a few months ago and the dust boots are rotted already. WTF!!!!

Old 10-30-2017, 12:42 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Reviving this zombie thread because I like these kinds of threads, it lets people quickly post up about what they did.

Spent some time today repairing headlight stuff. When I got the truck the headlights were very foggy and yellowed like most plastic lens headlights get over time and the driver bracket was broken I assume that happened when the truck was in an accident. While at the JY a few days ago I managed to snag a new TYC headlight for the right side but wasn't so lucky for the left side, so today while I was replacing the driver side headlight bracket I sanded the original lamp with 1200 grit wet paper and then polished it with a buffing wheel and some compound.

While it's not quite the same color as the new TYC that's mainly due to the color of the housing inside. The TYC is all grey inside where it's no plated and the OE Dodge lamp is sort of beige inside where it isn't plated. The sanding and polishing work did a good job of refreshing the lamp and making it usable.

Attached photos show the original lamps comparing the foggy with the one I cleaned today. Another shows the new TYC lamp (L) compared to the OE lamp that I buffed (R). Also there's a pic of them installed on the truck and one where I test fitted a glass Hella H4 5.25" round lamp in the area where the headlight bucket would be fitted on the sealed beam models. It's too bad there's not enough room to fit a pair of 5.25" round lamps. I might try and find some round headlight bucket assemblies.

The last photo is of the new air cleaner cover I got at the JY. The old one did not have the Magnum decal so I was happy to find this one.

That's it for today.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to/with your truck today?-dak_headlights_5.jpg   What did you do to/with your truck today?-dak_headlights_6.jpg   What did you do to/with your truck today?-dak_headlights_4.jpg   What did you do to/with your truck today?-dak_headlights_1.jpg   What did you do to/with your truck today?-dak_headlights_2.jpg  

What did you do to/with your truck today?-magnum_cover.jpg  
Old 11-01-2017, 01:11 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Replaced the rear license plate light wiring harness with one from a Dodge van I got about11 years ago and has been hanging around the garage. I couldn't count the number of times I carried that harness / lights to the trash can but at the last minute said no, now I'm glad I didn't toss it!

Steve

Old 11-03-2017, 12:27 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Yanked seats and carpet out to see about finding the water leaks. Also dismantled dash, removed cluster and polished some scratches out of the bezel. Figured out why the shift indicator wasn't working, it wasn't even hooked up. Also figured out how to adjust the shift indicator needle after you get it hooked up. I have to wonder how it came to be unhooked to begin with. Lots of things about this truck suggest that it was inside some kind of accident at some point.

Also tried to figure out why the radio (aftermarket) plays sometimes and sometimes not. It comes on but the speakers aren't always working properly. It's installed well using a factory conversion harness so I don't think the problem is the head unit, but there must be a faulty speaker ground wire somewhere. Maybe it's connected to the chewed wired in the engine compartment, a ground, where when it comes loose it causes the wipers to come on, even when the switch is off!

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to/with your truck today?