1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

What did you do to/with your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Volkster13
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a dakota windshield decal put on the otherday.

found this today..seems a bit pricey
http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/cl...dindex=2627898

Old 11-26-2013, 01:14 AM
JDakota92
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by volaredon
nothing today yet (just got woken up) but Friday nite I put a new rack n pinion in mine and new front brakes/packed the wheel bearings with new seals (why don't they build vehicles that way no more? Much easier/cheaper to fix if the need arises)
then yesterday I took it to the old shop I used to work at for an alignment and wound up doing most of the job myself... even though I quit that shop in 2005!
2 weekends ago I put up a 2 post lift in the garage man that helped tremendously being able to almost stand up under it to change the rack....

thought I was gonna just have to do a toe n go because it drove fine and didn't wear the tires a bit unevenly but once on the rack the toe was the only thing that wasn't way out of spec.... I counted the threads when I pulled the outer tie rod ends and put them back on the same amount onto the new rack, and the toe was actually near perfect (it was at least "in the green" with my rough settings unlike anything else was when I started to align it)
now gotta check out the popping and such when I let off the gas and push the clutch to shift... it also has a "flat spot" about 2500-3K RPM, actually accelerates better if I let off the gas a bit in that range. I saw reference earler in the thread about it being the crank sensor? Huh I've had 2 of them on this truck now; the original one I put in when I did the 5 speed conversion and the one I replaced it with when that one broke because I forgot to pull, when I had to get at the clutch the last time...
dam Chinamade throwout bearing went bad on me twice now... story for another day

this is a 93 CC w/a 318 has trans and computer out of a wrecked 94 318/5 speed truck. for the most part it runs good, it is my commuter vehicle 92 miles a day....
Check for an internal vacuum leak at the intake. My '95 has some hesitation. Need to do the intake and valve covers.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 AM
AlexVR

Put 3 new tires on, went a bit trail riding, to burn some old christmas trees in the woods. First time taking the truck offroading.

Riding behind a silverado, went through everything it went through with ease. Think the guys were trying to get the girl stuck, but my truck did it!

Hitch kept hitting some rocks but that's about it. Suspension was surprising really smooth. Think I'm going to keep this truck and put some money into it.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to/with your truck today?-beforeafter.jpg   What did you do to/with your truck today?-truckmud.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Volkster13
Professional

Passed inspection without needing a thing for the first time in ages. $5 spent on inspection is so much better than the usual couple hundred it usually takes for repairs to pass.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 PM
SEPA92Dakota
Professional

I took my '92 and '99 to the car wash to wash all off the salt from the last few snow storms. Then looked over the '92 to figure out where it's leaking to cause this:

No it's not just from running down the side of the truck, it's actually coming through the rust/crack in the rocker. My driver's side rocker and cab corner are gone and the passenger side is catching up rapidly where as this past summer it only had one little bubble under the paint. I'm trying to figure out where the leak is before I replace the rockers/cab corners and have the new ones rot from the inside out.

I also looked into the price of scrap metal for when/if I get around to parting out and junking my '94.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Volkster13
Professional

Mom missed a turn in her optima and decided to turn around in the snow not thinking her car would get stuck like it always does so I got to pull her out with the Dakota. That grill guard comes in handy lol

Old 02-21-2014, 09:02 PM
inuchan187
Professional

Went to pull out at a light and broke something in the rear. I guess thats what i get for having at least 1000 lbs of sand, scrap metal, and snow in the bed. State cop was going the other way when it happened and used his car to push me into a parking lot and even gave me a ride to work. Luckily, i have a spare rear in the garage so it should be back on the road this weekend And i'll have to save up for a bigger axle since I won't even have a posi now.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

got my truck running for 20mins after letting it warm up i put it in reverse to back out of the garage and it died and wouldnt restart...

i might be sending the old gal down the road for a new ram...need room in the driveway

Old 02-28-2014, 07:36 PM
SEPA92Dakota
Professional

Yesterday I shined a light down the throttle body of my '92 and saw a layer of nice oil sludge, I guess the plenum gasket is overdue at 156K and 22 years old. I'll either put it off if I end up keeping the V6 or just let it go in case I drop a V8 in it while restoring it this year hopefully. The V8 will probably come from my '94 after I part it out and scrap it in the coming months.

Speaking of which today I dug out all of my Dad's Mopar Action magazines where they covered the 5.9 swap into the white '96 Dakota.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:04 AM
JDakota92
Veteran

Installed a Flowmaster Delta 40 series muffler with dual tips that's been kicking around the garage for 10 years. I also put in the K&N FINK and put on some new wheels.

Quick Reply: What did you do to/with your truck today?