1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Transmission cooler delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 05:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Take a look at the connector at the trans. It's about halfway back, drivers side, and plugs straight down into where the valve body would be. If you have a 4x4, it can be fun to get to.

3 wire connector is RH, 8 wire connector is RE.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:24 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Out of curiosity where did you get that chart? It actually shows all U S trucks being RE versions.
I always thought it had to be a OBD II system to run a RE transmission, and OBD II didnt come out until 96, at least I thought.
In addition to this, when looking at factorychryslerparts.com and looking up a V6 95 dakota, they only show the RH
see this link.
https://www.factorychryslerparts.com...driveLine=7381

and then again, a 96 V6 dakota only shows the RE
see this link
https://www.factorychryslerparts.com...driveLine=7379

Old 04-20-2018, 07:41 PM
dakootie
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Out of curiosity where did you get that chart? It actually shows all U S trucks being RE versions.
I always thought it had to be a OBD II system to run a RE transmission, and OBD II didnt come out until 96, at least I thought.
In addition to this, when looking at factorychryslerparts.com and looking up a V6 95 dakota, they only show the RH
see this link.
https://www.factorychryslerparts.com...driveLine=7381

and then again, a 96 V6 dakota only shows the RE
see this link
https://www.factorychryslerparts.com...driveLine=7379
Chart is automatically generated after inputing, year / make / model / trim https://www.transmissionrepaircostgu...ion-do-i-have/

Last edited by dakootie; 04-20-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:25 PM
dakootie
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Take a look at the connector at the trans. It's about halfway back, drivers side, and plugs straight down into where the valve body would be. If you have a 4x4, it can be fun to get to.

3 wire connector is RH, 8 wire connector is RE.
This is from the pdf file, I gave a link to above.

ANOTHER GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR AND SOLENOID ASSEMBLY HARNESS DESIGN CHANGE.

Beginning in the model year 2000, Chrysler Corporation introduced another new governor
pressure sensor (transducer), as a running change, which also required another internal wiring
harness for all Chrysler 42RE, 44RE, 46RE and 47RE transmissions. This is now the 4th design
governor pressure sensor that we have seen and we will cover all 4 design level changes that have
occurred to date, in this bulletin.

PARTS AFFECTED:

1ST DESIGN:
Originally, the Governor Pressure Sensor/Transducer was a 3 terminal sensor, with the
Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) Sensor mounted on the Overdrive/TCC Solenoid.
The original 3 wire sensor is illustrated in Figure 1, and the wiring schematic for these models is
shown in Figure 5.

2ND DESIGN:
Beginning at the start of production for all 1996 models, Chrysler incorporated the externally
mounted TFT sensor into a new design governor sensor, which required a fourth pin to be added to
the new sensor. This also necessitated an internal harness change, to accommodate the redesigned
4 terminal governor sensor.

Reason: - Increased Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor accuracy for improved reliability
and durability.

The 2nd design 4 wire sensor is illustrated in Figure 2, and the wiring schematic for these models is
shown in Figure 6. Each terminal in the new sensor has been identified with the letters A, B, C and
D, as shown in Figures 2 and 6.

3RD DESIGN:
Late in the 1996 model year, Chrysler again changed the connector on the governor pressure
sensor, from the previous straight, to a 90 degree connector. This change however, did not require
a new internal harness and solenoid assembly.

Reason: - Relieved the stress on the internal harness connector, and once again improved
reliability and durability.

The 3rd design 4 wire, 90 degree sensor is illustrated in Figure 3, and the wiring schematic for these
models is shown in Figure 6. Each terminal in the new sensor has been identified with the letters A,
B, C and D, as shown in Figures 2 and 6.

PARTS AFFECTED: (Cont'd from Page 1)
4TH DESIGN:
During the 2000 model year, Chrysler Corporation introduced another new governor pressure
sensor (transducer), as a running change, which also required another new internal wiring harness,
to accommodate the new sensor. The 4th design governor sensor is made of plastic and has four
larger "spade" type terminals, transmits a different signal, has a redesigned connector and a shorter
snout where it goes into the adapter body.

Reason: - More cost effective because of the material, and the shorter snout allows a much
improved flow of governor oil to the sensor, for greatly improved accuracy and reliability. Refer
to Figure 8 for illustrations of 3rd and 4th design sensors in the adapter housing.
The 4th design 4 wire, 90 degree sensor is illustrated in Figure 4, and the wiring schematic for these
models is shown in Figure 7. Each terminal in the new sensor has been identified with the numbers
1, 2, 3 and 4, as shown in Figures 4 and 7. The 4th design level is illustrated mounted on the valve
body in Figure 8. There is also a new design retainer that is required for the 4th design level parts
and is illustrated in Figure 8.

INTERCHANGEABILITY:

1st Design Level - 3 pin sensor is not recommended for use in any model, and is no longer available
from OEM parts department.

2nd Design Level - Will retro-fit back on all models, but requires the upgraded internal harness and
solenoid assembly. This one also is not recommended and is no longer available.

3rd Design Level - Will retro-fit back on all models, but requires the upgraded internal harness and
solenoid assembly, part number 52118500, as shown below.

4th Design Level - "Will Not" retro-fit back. The 4th design level, is for 2000 model year and
later only, that are so equipped. Some 2000 models may be equipped with the 3rd design level
parts.

3rd Design level parts must be used in 3rd design level vehicles, and 4th design level parts
must be used in 4th design level vehicles. They will not interchange!

SERVICE INFORMATION:
Governor Pressure Sensor/Transducer (3rd Design Level) ................................... 56041403AA
Internal Harness And Solenoid Assembly (3rd Design Level) ............................. 52118500
Retaining Clip (3rd Design Level) .................................................. ...................... 4617219
Governor Pressure Sensor/Transducer (4th Design Level) .................................... 56028196AA
Internal Harness And Solenoid Assembly (4th Design Level) .............................. 52118500AB
Retaining Bracket (4th Design Level) .................................................. ................. 52117937AB

Last edited by dakootie; 04-21-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Interesting info.... That would imply the RE came about before the 96 model year....... although, I can't say I have ever seen one...... Still and all, check the transmission connector, that will still tell the tale.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:41 PM
dakootie
Rookie

Looks like the RE series first came out in 1988, the 4 speed automatic probably came out in various case configurations sharing the same internals. Seems the major changes were made in the valve body and wiring harness.

When I finally get the 95 4x4 Dakota home I'm going to run a full diagnostics on it using information from the pdf file I left a link to, if it fails then I'm going to rebuild it.

This afternoon I disassembled the RH previous over was sold for the 96 Dakota then found out it will not work, anyhow the majority of the internals are likely shared with the RE series.

If my 95 4x4 trans need a rebuild I'lll be sure to make a thread with plenty of pictures and some of the home made tools that I had to make for the job.

Most probably are not aware that the clutch disks used in automatics are lined with friction paper, a few of the older tractors and cars used a cork lined clutch run in oil.

Hudson was one that used cork, a few guys have rebuilt these using wine bottle corks.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:29 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

No, the 1988 had a 42RH; the RE was not used until 1996.

OTOH, most of the hard parts are identical between a RH and a RE; the case (for the connector!) and the valve body are different.

RwP

Old 04-22-2018, 07:48 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by dakootie
Looks like the RE series first came out in 1988, the 4 speed automatic probably came out in various case configurations sharing the same internals. Seems the major changes were made in the valve body and wiring harness.

There is no way an electronic version came in a 88 dakota. It was another 4 years before chrysler even came out with the magnum or port injection.....
Think about it. The RE version requires the OBD II system to control it. This advanced (OBD II) computer system, according to chrysler did not come out until 96.
Now there MAY have been a few late model 95's that got OBD II systems, but who knows........ Has anyone ever actually seen one? Even including this post, to date, I have never seen anyone claim to have actually seen a pre 96 RE transmission in a dakota.

Again, factory chrysler parts shows no record of anything other then RH transmissions for a 95 and older.
The only proof is the above post of this aftermarket parts company......
At best, its a misprint in this aftermarket company's catalog......
Further proof is, they claim all US version's of the 95 dakota are RE trans..... The only RH for 95 was Canadian versions.....
I dont believe anyone would argue that is correct.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:46 PM
wolfcouple
Angry 46re & 46rh.....one for US, one for Canada??

my dakota is a 94, 5.2l with mpi, 230hp. i just replaced transmission in mine & it IS a 46re. came from factory with a 46re, hence, the electric OD button on dash & confirmed by transmission place i got reman. transmission from due to the wires coming from the wiring harness. transmission is in, filled with synthetic fluid & with proper TV cable adjustments hits every gear, plus torque converter lock up. now if the &$^$ thing wouldn't go dead after it reaches operating temp & runs so-so for 20 minutes, i'd have me a truck. bought it as a donor for my dads' truck that looked new when a family member got it after he passed. right now, looks like its been in a demolition derby. I've read what seems like an entire library of info on this 94 relating to the going dead issue, watched videos & yet, knowing that it is very likely the pcm causing my issues, i cannot get the &($^*$^*%$^*%&%(&%^$ bolt out of the harness connector for that ridiculous pcm. it;s like the thing the bolt screws into has broken loose from whatever it;s attached to inside that &^*&)^*)% pcm. anyone have any ideas how to get that bolt out??

Old 07-15-2018, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Take the pcm off from where it is mounted, and see if you can get the nut from the other side....... (don't know for sure.)

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler delete