1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Transmission cooler delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Boogie649
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission cooler delete

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota. It has been nothing but loyal. Lately it has been having trouble shifting sounds like it's struggling. Looked under the radiator and there is transmission fluid leaking badly. The transmission filter looks like hell. Is it necessary to have that or can I just remove? Would appreciate any advice I don't want to blow this truck up

Old 04-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Boogie649

Sorry I meant to say transmission cooler. Not filter. Believe me I do not want to delete the transmission filter��

Old 04-14-2018, 06:41 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

i'd want to keep it....especially if you tow. trans fluid life is temp dependant....the cooler the fluid temp the less breakdown of the fluid.

if the current cooler flow is thru the rad to the cooler and back to the trans, you could bypass the cooler (some trucks don't run separate coolers) but if you run it hard your asking for trouble. It will put additional heat load into the radiator.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:50 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Boogie649
I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota. It has been nothing but loyal. Lately it has been having trouble shifting sounds like it's struggling. Looked under the radiator and there is transmission fluid leaking badly. The transmission filter looks like hell. Is it necessary to have that or can I just remove? Would appreciate any advice I don't want to blow this truck up

Boogie, first off, welcome to the forum!!

I would check and see if you can determine where its leaking. If its a line, then replace the line. If the fitting going into the radiator is messed up, you can get a new radiator for less then $100.00 from rock auto. etc.
You do need a cooler of some sorts. Another alternative is to install a aux. cooler in front of the condenser. The aux. coolers work well for heavy hauling or towing when used with the orig. cooler in the radiator.
A lot of drag racers only run the aux. cooler. Personally, I dont like it, as its only cooling when the vehicle is moving.......
One way or another, keep a cooler. Heat will kill your transmission.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:09 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
A lot of drag racers only run the aux. cooler. Personally, I dont like it, as its only cooling when the vehicle is moving.......
One way or another, keep a cooler. Heat will kill your transmission.
On my 1988, it's right in the path of the air flow from the clutch fan; this probably isn't true for all the drag racers, but still, there's still air moving through it (like through the condensor for the A/C).

RwP

Old 04-18-2018, 07:28 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RalphP
On my 1988, it's right in the path of the air flow from the clutch fan; this probably isn't true for all the drag racers, but still, there's still air moving through it (like through the condensor for the A/C).

RwP

Ralph, out of curiosity, are you running the cooler in addition to the radiator cooler or are you running it alone?
My concerns would be
1. in stop and go traffic there may not be enough air from the fan to cool the transmission . Especially since the fan is pulling through the radiator, condenser, and by the time its at the trans cooler, there is no fan shroud ....
2. with the built in radiator tranmission cooler, not only does it cool the transmission, but it helps to maintain proper operating transmission temp. in cold weather.....

My concerns may be totally unfounded, but I for 1 would like to hear your opinion.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:36 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Alone; but then, I've got a very, VERY large cooler. Plus, this is Louisiana; I don't perceive the need to heat the transmission fluid.

If I were in Minnesota, I'd have a different thought about it *grins*

But you have the air flow backwards; it's pulled through the condensor, the transmission cooler, THEN the radiator. The shroud keeps the air coming in the front (do a colored smoke test if you need to help visualize it), and if the A/C is working, the transmission cooler is getting cooler air.

With the Max Cooling radiator, I don't have to worry about the truck overheating.

Let me pull up the cooler I have in the truck ...

Here's the cooler I have https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C3BBKS/ . I have another one to put on the Cougar when I get its transmission rebuilt (hopefully this year - over 250,000 miles, it's getting a bit sloppy)

Added: If the possibility of "overcooling" is a concern, you can always add a temp valve to it, like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Derale-1301.../dp/B004XONNRQ . This will bypass the cooler until the transmission fluid is (in this case) 180F, allowing for more rapid warm ups.

RwP

Last edited by RalphP; 04-18-2018 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added a note about temp control
Old 04-20-2018, 01:12 PM
dakootie
Rookie

The 42 / 46RE transmissions use a temperature sensor removing the cooler is going to give you grief.
Here's the link for the full document, http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/...alogs/42RE.pdf

Last edited by dakootie; 04-20-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:22 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

I dont believe that will apply to the OP. His is a 95 and should be a RH series rather then the RE series. BTW what year does the above infrormation come from?

Old 04-20-2018, 01:46 PM
dakootie
Rookie

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
I dont believe that will apply to the OP. His is a 95 and should be a RH series rather then the RE series. BTW what year does the above infrormation come from?
MoPar is doing its best to drive me insane, 95 Dakota's used both the 42RE and the 46RH.

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler delete