1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

DIY RE Rebuild Tips and Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 05:42 PM
dakootie
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When all else fails pull the engine, after removing the throttle body simply bolt this lifting hook into place.

Also got to try out a brand new Lincoln Invertec welder, nice smooth machine.

Last edited by dakootie; 07-08-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:49 PM
dakootie
Rookie

Engine and transmission are now installed, went in as a unit, used the transmission jack to level the engine and transmission during the installation.

Replaced a bad engine mount with a brand new one that turned out to be a **** hair wider than the original and would not drop into place until I had spread the frame mount rear ear about an eight of an inch.

Also found a scissor jack with a nice ACME screw with a pair of Torrington thrust bearing washers that will replace the sloppy set up on my transmission jack side to side tilt.

Our Canadian Princess Auto sells the same junk that H. F. offers.

Outside of the box says this jack is good for 1100 pounds, tag attached to the jack inside the box says 800 pounds.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:02 AM
dakootie
Rookie

Ran into a problem with my 46RE instillation into the 96 Dakota, everything fits until I get to the transmission linkage. The 46RE has a larger front pump which increases the diameter of the transmission and the hanger for the shift linkage from the 42RE keeps the linkage misaligned.

What have those of you that have done this swap done to overcome this problem.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:54 PM
dakootie
Rookie

I'm going to shorten the fulcrum rod that come from the frame to the bracket on the transmission, it has to be shortened to accommodate the larger diameter transmission The 46RE is a bit wider than the 44RE that was removed.

Is the bracket below available from the 46RE, if anyone has a spare one I'll gladly purchase it, payment via paypal or a money order payable in US funds.

Last edited by dakootie; 08-18-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:24 PM
dakootie
Rookie

Originally Posted by dakootie
I'm going to shorten the fulcrum rod that come from the frame to the bracket on the transmission, it has to be shortened to accommodate the larger diameter transmission The 46RE is a bit wider than the 44RE that was removed.

Is the bracket below available from the 46RE, if anyone has a spare one I'll gladly purchase it, payment via paypal or a money order payable in US funds.

Problem Solved.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:03 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

So how was it solved?

RwP

Old 08-20-2018, 12:16 AM
dakootie
Rookie

Spent the afternoon cutting a large portion ofr the floor out of the 95 Dakota, truck is being scrapped. This truck is a 4x4 and it's not easy getting measurements from underneath the truck.

With the 46RE being wider in the girth and a tad taller in this middle section a few modifications have to be made to the shifter linkage. From the arm below I have detached the fulcrum, this will be relocated inboard perhaps 3/4/ to a full inch. Once I have the measurements from the 95 I'll know how much the fulcrum has to be moved.

Second problem is with the 46RE being a bit wider in the girth this also adds a bit of height to the beast, the anchor from the 96 44RE when affixed to the 46RE angles the fulcrum rod in an upwards position to where it's obvious that it will bind.

Your all familiar with those plastic grommets that lock things into place and then become a bitch to remove, In the feid I use my Bic to heat the plastic, heat gun works when I'm in the shop. Once the plastic is softened up a bit you can reassemble linkages etc. with out great difficulty.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:20 AM
dakootie
Rookie

You'll notice that I have marked the position of the fulcrum by cutting into it with a hacksaw so that it may be realigned properly when welded back onto the shaft.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:28 PM
dakootie
Rookie

The 96 used aluminium transmission lines with some sort of compression fitting that you need a special tool to release, the lines were pretty shabby so I opted to use the steel lines off of the 95.

The lines are preformed, had to remove the exhaust manifold and the power steering pump to get them installed, in the process have also eliminated the check valve that everyone claims will eventually give a problem.

Next on my list of things to do is make a new bracket for the shift linkage once that is done the beast can be lowered back onto all fours.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:26 PM
dakootie
Rookie

From a spare shift arm support the parts shown in white were removed, beside this slight modification the fulcrum was moved inboard 3/4" then welded back into place.
I'm pleased that everything is aligned perfectly.

Quick Reply: DIY RE Rebuild Tips and Tricks