1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

94 Dodge Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 08:51 PM
Wislefty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 94 Dodge Dakota

Recently purchased a 94 Dodge Dakota and I love it! But I now have issues with the ignition switch. When you turn it to the start position, it doesn't spring back. So if you don't forcefully turn it back, the starter will continue to grind away on a running engine! I'm thinking of getting a used part to save $$.
Does anyone know what years and/or models are compatible with my 94 Dakota? I love the truck and I really want to get it running as it should.
Thanks!

Old 06-25-2021, 09:16 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Why not just buy a new ignition switch?

RockAuto has them under $25 1994 DODGE DAKOTA 5.2L V8 Ignition Starter Switch | RockAuto .

Even on Amazon, as I type this, they're under $31 with free shipping for Prime members.

RwP

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (06-26-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 09:57 PM
Wislefty
Smile

Hi Ralph,
Thanks for the quick reply. I called a Dodge Dealership (yes, I knew they would be high) and they told me $139 for the Ignition Switch, $140 for the Ignition lock cylinder and $30 to match my key, whatever that means.
The parts you are quoting, are they Ignition Switch or Ignition lock cylinders?

Don

Old 06-25-2021, 10:00 PM
Wislefty

Hi Ralph,
Thanks for the quick reply. I called a Dodge Dealership (yes, I knew they would be high) and they told me $139 for the Ignition Switch, $140 for the Ignition lock cylinder and $30 to match my key, whatever that means.
Thanks in advance!

Don

Old 06-25-2021, 10:10 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

If you'd check the link, you'd see it was the ignition switch.

Why would you need to change the lock cylinder? They're two separate items; take the current cylinder out and put it in the new switch.

If, however, you wish to swap the lock cylinder ALSO, RockAuto again lists their most expensive one at $54; take that part number, toss it at Amazon if you're a Prime member. Quite often with the free shipping, the Amazon part ends up less.

RwP

Old 06-25-2021, 10:28 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Wislefty
Hi Ralph,
Thanks in advance!

Don

If it's out of warranty, I rarely do to the dealer. Lock cylinders are a lot cheaper if you buy them aftermarket. RockAuto and Fleabay can get you a new one fast and cheap. As to the key, it's a monokey set up. You can take the new cylinder to a locksmith and have it rekeyed to use your old key. The last one I did was around $25 at the locksmith. If you're a bit paranoid, use the new key for the ignition and the old door key with a spare key hidden inside. That way, if someone gets your keys, they can get in but can't steal your truck. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you're in a better neighborhood than I used to live in.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:04 PM
Wislefty
Smile

Thanks Ol' grouch! I appreciate your helpful advice! As you can tell, I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this one!

Don

Old 06-25-2021, 11:06 PM
Wislefty

Thanks Ralph,
I was under the mistaken impression that if one was bad, you had to replace both. Good chatting!

Old 06-26-2021, 09:59 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Wislefty
Thanks Ralph,
I was under the mistaken impression that if one was bad, you had to replace both. Good chatting!

While the switch can go bad, it's usually the lock cylinder. People put the ignition key on a ring with a bunch of other keys and often stuff that has nothing to do with locks. The whole magilla can weigh several pounds. This will swing back and forth as you drive and over time will wear the cylinder out. I've seen them where they will only go to start but not accessory or you can start them with a spoon.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:32 PM
Charles Simmons
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default try this

I live in Mobile al. We have a parts store that uses your vin # for parts reference. Ask some of your parts dealers if they use vin #?? that way you know it'll be the rite part you need for your vehicle.

Quick Reply: 94 Dodge Dakota