1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

May have wrong tranny fluid? Weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:45 PM
noodle
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May have wrong tranny fluid? Weird problem

About two months ago, I broke a tranny cooler line and leaked out a **** ton of tranny fluid. At the time, i didnt know that i shouldnt use dexron or mercon tranny fluid. I added a gallon of cheap fluid from my Advance Auto Parts. My problem is that i dont know if it was dexron, mercon, or the correct atf 3 or atf 4. I dont remember the brand, the color of the bottle, or anything. Is there anyway of telling what is in there? I would go get a flush but i have heard way to many bad things about them. I would drop the pan but i wont be able to get all the fluid out. For all that I know it is the correct fluid, but having the reputation that Dodge can have, I dont want to risk it. What should i do?

Old 01-04-2008, 01:56 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: May have wrong tranny fluid? Weird problem

go to a relible shop that will do a flush. if done correctly there should be no side affecs

Old 01-04-2008, 03:17 AM
fox
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HA I did the same thing with my power steering I didn't know that our PS system don't use ATF fluid but actual PS fluid

Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How well did the ATF work in the power steering! Did it feel the same. They both are hydrolic fuild.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:59 PM
fox
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah it was real looooooooose I could literly shake the steering wheel back and forth without the truck barely moving, bleed the system and put the right fluid in there and it worked fine

Old 01-05-2008, 01:42 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: noodle
I added a gallon of cheap fluid from my Advance Auto Parts. My problem is that i dont know if it was dexron, mercon, or the correct atf 3 or atf 4. What should i do?
atf+4 is about $5/qt, so a gallon would have been about $20. i'll bet you remember that it wasn't that expensive. you almost certainly have the wrong fluid, and should change it a couple of times or flush it. what i would do is drop the pan, change the filter and fluid (atf+4), and add a generic bolt in drain plug to the transmission. then after a few days, use the drain plug and drain/refill again. its not perfect, but its close and it will cost you a lot less than a flush. you'll need about 6-7 qts for each drain/fill, a filter/gasket kit, and a $5 plug.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/trans.php

Old 01-05-2008, 08:53 PM
noodle
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yah. ****.

Quick Reply: May have wrong tranny fluid? Weird problem