1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 dakota vibration ,,no power

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 AM
crazy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 dakota vibration ,,no power

hello all,,new guy here ,,got some questions on my 93 dakota truck,,it's a 3.9 magnum ,a/t 4wd extenda cab..been running great but the other day while driving itdeveloped a vibration i can feel in the stering wheel ,,when i accelerate ,,changed the wires and plugs thinking it may be a bad wire,,but still have the vibration ,,checked the falt codes and got 12,32,+15,,so my question is which of these codes would possibly cause a vibration,,it also seem to not have the power it had a few days ago,,i put some gas system cleaner in it and some water remover and drove it for about 25 miles shut it off and replaced the wires and plugs and still the same,,i've read tru the posts and have found things i'm gonna check but was wandering about the codes ,,the truck will run smoothly at idle and seems to shift ok but this vibration problem just started ..the only thing i did was wash it and i took it offroad (just a drive up a old road) (no mudding) just a few small saplings growing on the road,,,no holes and i've drove up this road before with no problems,,but this was the events leading up to the problem,,its been pretty cold the last few daysalso,,20's ...any suggestions?
Thanks in advance from the new guy
crazy

Old 02-28-2008, 02:03 PM
raynay
Default RE: 93 dakota vibration ,,no power

i looked into it and this is what i found:

12- Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles
32- EGR system failure
15- No vehicle speed sensor signal

hope that helps, don't know what would cause a vibration though.....

Old 02-28-2008, 03:05 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

You think it is a motor vibration or drivetrain? Is the vibration at certain speeds/rpms? Give us alittle more detail.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:45 PM
crazy
Rookie

thanks for confirming the codes ,,i did some more research and found that the code problems wouldn't or shouldn't cause a vibration,,first thing i thought was bad gas or a bad wire or plug because i've seen 1 wire bad make a vehicle run like a pos,,so thats why i started with the wires and plugs,,when that didn't help i went down and got some dryer for the gas ,,still nothing,,after doing some reading here and on the net i had a plan..started off changed the dis cap and rotorand put a can of seafoam in it,,wow that really improved the power end but still the vibration,,so i deceided to check the tranny fluid,,,this is my first auto dodge dakota ,,i did have a manual 92 dakota before this one and i've been driving gm mostly before that,,well i was checking it in park like most gm's,,i found that the tranny was down a quart and a half on fluid when i checked it in netural ,,so i purt the fluid in and did the r+r parts and it seems like normal the more i drive it,,i feel pretty dumb right now but still found i may have a couple small other problems to work out ,,so at least its running pretty smooth right now,,it sits there and idles at 500 ,,shifts around 12+1800 rpm 2-3 shift,starts and sounds great no popping in the exhaust no misses,,i did think about it and i do remember a couple times cold it shifted hard but thats about all it's done since i've owned it,,thanks guys for the help ..and hope i can return the favorsometime,,will keep ya all updated
crazy

Old 02-28-2008, 07:29 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

No problem, glad you got it worked out. Good deal!

Old 03-04-2008, 06:52 PM
crazy
Rookie

hello again guys ,,well the vibration came back and i found the problem,,bad u-joint on rear of driveshaft,,glad it wasn't tranny related,,thanks for all the help and great trouble shooting articles
crazy

Old 03-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Truck Dude
Veteran

glad it was an easy fix... i was gettin bad cold shifts, then bad shifts cold or warm, so i checked the fluid and turned out i was low a half quart then i looked under only to find out the damn tranny pan was leaking...i re-sealed it so it turned out an easy fix.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:11 PM
crazy
Rookie

thanks truck dude,,the guy i got the truck from did say he changed the fluid and filter before i got it ,,and i think mabey your problem my be the reason i needed to put fluid in ,,i know from experience that when ya torke the pan ya gotta do it evenly or sometimes they do leak,,thats a job i'll check when the weather gets better,,too dam cold right now around these parts..lol..lol..my 93 dak with the 3.9 mag engine is a great little truck and i know whatever it's gonna need i will fix because it's really a nice truck,,, but i'm still working the bugs outa it,,it'looks like your pic except i got a cap on mine and it's an extenda cab,,i'm hooked on the daks right now and unless i have some real major stuff go wrong i'll be drivimg it till the wheels fall off..lol..lol..thanks for all the imput again guys and will be a regular here and mabey i can return the favor some day!
crazy

Quick Reply: 93 dakota vibration ,,no power