1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

NEW to Dodge: Thinking about buying a Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 12:00 PM
morr2010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW to Dodge: Thinking about buying a Dakota

Hello all, i am new to the website and to Dodge. I have 2000 Grand Cherokee V8, so im not new to Chrysler. I am just in high school, and i am looking for a truck so I can do landscaping and moving (to earn extra cash).

I found a 1994 Blue Dodge dakota on my local craigslist. It is 2wd, v6, reg cab, and only 110k miles. He said there is minor rust on the rear bumper. He said he will take $550 for it.

I really like the look of this truck and it is probably a little better on gas compared to 4.7 Jeep, and that i haul small stuff with it.

Do you guys think it is a good deal? Is there anything i should look for when i test drive it today?

Old 08-10-2008, 12:56 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's nearly as good as my '93 (about 150,000 miles odometer broke at 120,000...) 3.9 V6, I say get it! I get about 14 - 19 mpg, not great, but okay for what this truck does for me. Mine was Ziebart (sp) rust protected when new, so body is in great condition. If this one you are looking at has a good body, I think it is worth it - having said that, do your research and try to get him down in price. Good success...

Old 08-10-2008, 01:18 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a good deal. just take a close look at it and check it all over. it could have major problems with it. you never know. and the 3.9's have a common problem with timing chains.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:24 PM
morr2010

Originally Posted by MacDak
If it's nearly as good as my '93 (about 150,000 miles odometer broke at 120,000...) 3.9 V6, I say get it! I get about 14 - 19 mpg, not great, but okay for what this truck does for me. Mine was Ziebart (sp) rust protected when new, so body is in great condition. If this one you are looking at has a good body, I think it is worth it - having said that, do your research and try to get him down in price. Good success...

Okay. Sounds good. Do you think i should shoot for $450 and complain about the minor body rust or something? And ask about the timing belt?

Old 08-10-2008, 01:29 PM
morr2010

Originally Posted by jonnymagnum
sounds like a good deal. just take a close look at it and check it all over. it could have major problems with it. you never know. and the 3.9's have a common problem with timing chains.
Also, what exactly should i look for? Obviously ill look for leaks, or breaks in hoses. But what else?

Old 08-10-2008, 08:21 PM
1shotjake
Professional

I feel a little awkward responding to this as I am still working out the bugs on my used dak that I got in may, but from my experience

Ask about all the maintenance performed, major stuff of course and try and find out what the problem was, who did the work, how long ago, and maybe even how much it cost. If it was recent see if there is any warranty and receipts.

Regular maintenance as well, oil change, plugs wires ect. I bought mine off a former mechanic, and everything seemed to have been taken care of regularly, except the oil looked terribly old and as if it got a little hot.

Check the radiator (I just now found a large section that has corroded away and should be replaced) And you being ohio (if your location is correct) this might be an area for rust to hide.

If this also has the LE (or similar trim, not sure what It was that model year) Check under the fender flares and around the wheel well this is also a place I've seen rust hide.

Other than that be smart and cover all your bases first, getting stuck with a lemon isn't fun when you spend all your time working on it, but If it's as good as it sounds then that's a pretty good deal.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:35 AM
morr2010
Old 08-11-2008, 09:07 AM
CSXfan
All Star

Here are a few things I learned after buying my Dakota. Listen for and feel how the tranny shifts. One of the biggest problems with older Daks is the transmissions. When you're test driving it mash the gas in different gears and listen for any slipping.

Also as mentioned before the timing chain tensioner can go out which causes the timing chain to flop around and make an annoying rattling noise. The truck will run fine but it's a $600 fix to stop it from rattling.

Because it's a '94 v6, there could also be something wrong with the PCM (engine computer). Try to find out how the truck runs when the air temp is below 45*F. Some of the '94 v6 Daks developed a computer glitch that made the PCM not regulate fuel flow correctly in cold weather. If there is any misfireing in cold weather you might need a new PCM.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:57 AM
sykosollution

Hey Morr, I'm sure you've already decided weather or not you're going to get the truck, so I just want to offer a final few words of advice. What everyone has said here is all excellent advice, but what I haven't seen anyone mention, is just give the truck a look over, almost as though you're doing a state isnpection, cuz that's where a truck (or any vehicle for that matter) can nickel and dime you. What I mean is check the brakes. Even if you just visually look at them, you can see right off the bat if they look worn down or not. Check the tires. see if the tread pattern is worn down in any type of fashion that would indicate mis-alignment or something. Don't be afraid to get dirty. Get down on the ground and look under the truck to make sure the frame isn't rusted through. Also look at your exhaust, and make sure there's no holes in it. take a walk around and make sure all your lights work. Check the turnsignals, hazards, high and low beams, etc. You might find a truck that looks to be in immaculate condition, but just make sure it doesn't have the "minor issues" that will make you spend more than if you just went out and bought a brand new dakota. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-23-2008, 05:31 PM
fwtc
Professional

oh jonny you are so right. replaced my timing chain at 100,000 miles, make sure there's no chain slap sound in the front of the engine, you can't miss it.
$550 for a 94 with a 110,000 miles, you either got lucky or there is some serious issues.

Quick Reply: NEW to Dodge: Thinking about buying a Dakota