1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How do I fill the 231 transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:34 PM
88longbed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I fill the 231 transfer case

I am trying to check the oil level in my transfer case and top it off to replace what is dripping slowly (another issue).

The red tag on the back of it says 231 Syracuse, NY. I found a diagram that labels the large bolt facing the rear as the filler hole, but what is the giant softball sized sphere obstructing my view and access to this bolt?

Looks like I could loosen two bolts and get the ball thing out of the way to access the bolt on the back of the transfer case.

Is that the right bolt?
What kind of oil should i put in it?
Do I need a grease gun with a hose or a syringe?

Thanks. I am still waiting on the Haynes manual I ordered, if that isn't obvious.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:52 PM
codydakota
Captain

They make a bottle with a tip end that you cvan squeeze to get the fluid in there, I believe that's the right bolt your referring too.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 PM
88longbed

hey thanks for your reply.

i found a nice picture on a jeep site. the two bolt holes here are the drain and fill, and the author on the other site claims this is the 231 transfer case:

looks just like mine. i guess ill just unbolt that plastic ball thing that is right behind the bolts on my dakota and try not to break it. i read that the 231 transfer case should be filled with ATF +4 / Mopar ATF 9602. someone scream if that is not the right goo to put in.

thanks again

Old 02-27-2009, 10:26 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, that is a 231. It's quite a thing of beauty.
ATF+4 is the correct fluid.
To get the fluid in there, use a suction gun (do a Google search if you don't know what one looks like).
Correct fill is when the ATF+4 is coming back out of the fill plug (top plug) when the truck is level.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 AM
88longbed

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
Yes, that is a 231. It's quite a thing of beauty.
ATF+4 is the correct fluid.
To get the fluid in there, use a suction gun (do a Google search if you don't know what one looks like).
Correct fill is when the ATF+4 is coming back out of the fill plug (top plug) when the truck is level.
hey thanks for the tip on the suction gun. hopefully, the napa 1000ft south of me has them in stock. looks like a handy tool i could use to change the power steering fluid, too.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:42 AM
88longbed

ok, this job went pretty smoothly this morning. i got an oil suction gun and two quarts of ATF +4 from the NAPA down the street. it really only takes one whiff of the stuff to be reminded just how bad it smells.

my transfer case has the 30mm bolts, and there is just enough clearance between the bolt heads and the frame crossbrace to fit a wrench up there. i don't have a 30mm socket, but i will invest in one before the next time i do this. the drain bolt might not be accessible with a socket, but the fill hole has enough clearance for a socket and extension.

i added almost half a quart of fluid before it began running out the fill hole, so the level was pretty low. i didn't have a enough time to do a complete flush and refill so i just topped it off and tightened it back up.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:22 PM
AirForceGuy
Rookie

The softball size plastic sphere is the vacuum reservoir used to keep the front axle in either the 2wd or 4wd position - depending what it's in when you shut it off.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:35 PM
Ken Hummell

I installed a new cover that came today and filled mine with aft+4 since I have a frame anx body lift on mine enough I used a file to fill the transfer case, it only took 1 quart to fill it to the bottom of thd fill hole, is thus ok? I'd read other places that it takes 2quarts

Old 08-05-2017, 10:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Roll it a bit, then recheck fluid level.

Quick Reply: How do I fill the 231 transfer case