1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

I am really hurting for some help :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:32 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can make a plate that will seal off the intake. I remember seeing a picture on here where somebody did that... I think it was Blue_12, but don't hold me to that. If you have a welder, you can weld the hole in your pass. side exhaust manifold, but I haven't looked at it close enough to know if there is anything else you can do to it off. If you want an exhaust manifold that doesn't have the EGR port, I have one that I'd give you for the cost of shipping, cause I'll never use it its not worth anything. It came with that '98 360 and its taking up space right now.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 04-13-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:45 PM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I can find time tonight among all of the "honey do" chores I get then I will be working on that EGR valve. Shouldnt take much to pull it out, spray it down with carb cleaner and put it back in. Also, While Oreilly does have a lifetime warranty MAP sensor for 97 bucks advance has the EXACT same part for 54. I will be picking up one of those Wednesday.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:27 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

Well its not the EGR valve. I took it off last night and it barely had any carbon buildup on it. I went ahead and cleaned it as much as I could anyway.

Any other thoughts?

Old 04-15-2009, 12:12 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

I stand corrected on the whole vacuum line going to the transfer case argument. I just read where some of the older NP231s did have both mechanical and vacuum controls, and the newer ones have mechanical and electrical controls. So mine does not have the vacuum but your's probably does. They made a few changes to the drivetrains in these trucks between '93 and '94, like the different speed sensor and making it more electronic in general.

Unfortunately, I'm just as out of ideas about your idling problem as you are. Hopefully someone else can come up with something.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:12 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

Alright, I feel like a complete Jack@$$.

The noise coming from the exhaust got extremely worse this last Friday. It was doing the leak sound all the time now instead of just while in gear. I had finally had enough and since I didnt have another body to help me. I put a tire between the wall of my garage and truck. Started it up, put it in gear and let it rest against the tire and then put on the emergency brake. I crawled underneath the truck to see where that sound was coming from. And I found it. It was coming from the joint of the CC and Muffler. I loosened the clamp and tried to shove the muffler a little further onto the CC but it wouldnt budge. So I put the clamp/hanger on closer towards the end of the muffler and another about an inch behind it thinking for sure that would plug up the leak. But it didnt. The muffler was acting like it was plugged up. So I took it into a local muffler place and told them just to cut the muffler out and put in a glaspak. 20 minutes and 50 bucks later it was done and I couldnt be happier the 318 sounds like an instrument fit for the New York Philharmonic. Cruise still isnt 100% But I can at least live with that. My final solution for this was a IAC and a glaspak.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:47 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Sweet! So it quit trying to stall?

Old 04-19-2009, 01:52 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

Correct. No more studdering. And it sounds completely B.A.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:57 AM
95_318SLT
Champion

Nice! Maybe if I fix my exhaust leak it will help my truck run better! I really don't want to mess with the exhuast right now though. I have headers to go on it, but they are non-EGR headers, so I have to wait til I get my intake manifold finished. When I get the 408 done, I'm going with dual exhaust with a cat on each bank and straight pipes (hopefully the cat will muffle it enough)

Old 04-19-2009, 12:31 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Nice! Maybe if I fix my exhaust leak it will help my truck run better! I really don't want to mess with the exhuast right now though. I have headers to go on it, but they are non-EGR headers, so I have to wait til I get my intake manifold finished. When I get the 408 done, I'm going with dual exhaust with a cat on each bank and straight pipes (hopefully the cat will muffle it enough)
why stick the cat back in? cut out the cats, stick in 2 3/4" piping with a magnaflow or flowmaster muffler, youll get a more wicked sound out of that then with a cat and no muffler.

ive found that when you have no muffler, or cherry bombs on the exhaust, it creates too much of a clapping sound when you stomp on it. unless thats what your looking for....

Old 04-19-2009, 01:43 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

In my state, they don't require the truck pass emissions, but they do check to see if the cat is there. My truck doesn't have a cat now, cause it broke apart, so I removed it, and the exhaust smells horrible... it would be obvious to any competent inspector that it's not there. So anyway, I remember when I took it out the exhaust got a lot louder, so I was just thinking that if I just put the cat in with straight pipes behind it that it will both pass inspection and be quiet enough. It's one of those things that I'm just assuming might work, but I'll have to wait and see for sure.

Quick Reply: I am really hurting for some help :(