1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dodge Dakota Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 PM
mark1995
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Dakota Engine Problems

1995 dodge dakota engine problems
I have a 1995 dodge dakota 4x4 V6 extended cab with 210,000 miles. I recently had an intake gasket put on by a mechanic because it was backfiring and cutting out bad. It would run good when it was cold outside. After the mechanic replaced the gasket, the truck started up an ran for an hour with no problems. I went to pick it up and it died and would not start up. The mechanic picked me up and later went to get the truck and it started to drive up on his trailer. He took it to his shop and could not figure out what was wrong with it. The truck would idle up and down and then die. Sometimes starting up right away and other times not till the next day. He change the crank sensor, cam sensor, battery, ASD relay , checked to make sure that it had enough fuel pressure and it did, then he put a new computer in it and it would not start. He took it out and put the used one back in and cranked several times and finlly got it to start and pull computer back off and put new one back on and still idled up and down and died. So he put the old computer back on and now it will not start. There is no spark at the coil or distibuter and only .05 volts going to the coil. I read about a lot of 1995 dodges having this problem and even the Dealer could not get them running. I also read about a failure of the battery feed wire to the fuel pump and the ASD relay. How would you jump across this to find out if that is the problem or any other ideas. I hope that there is someone who can give me some ideas on what to do. Thanks Mark

Last edited by mark1995; 05-12-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Well Mark, to get the best advice I'd recommend posting in the 1st gen section, but I'm sure the guys in the 3rd gen will help with what we can. As we all know, engines need 3 things, fuel, spark, and air. If he's changed all that I'm assuming he's checked to make sure all the connections are tight and snapped. Have you recently done anything like a tune up to where the firing order could somehow be wrong or anything like that? Does it sit much? You could possibly have water in the fuel line, or at 210,000 miles possibly a clogged fuel filter. I'd start with the small things and pay attention to detail. That's where I've had most of my luck is going back through things and starting small.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:38 PM
kahanabob
Captain

Since your mechanic is shotguning it by changing sensors I would also install a new pick up in the distribuator.......

Old 05-12-2009, 02:51 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

Have you checked the splice under the PDC? My issue was, the truck ran Friday. I replaced the radiator on Saturday and then the truck would turn over like a banshee but would not start. I had no spark and the fuel pump wasn't getting power. When I looked at the splice, it was completely corroded away. Mine was a severe case, perhaps yours hasn't gotten that bad and it's causing an intermittent problem. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:54 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys, this is a double thread, the original thread is here >> https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-problems.html

we already answered his question here, he just hasnt updated us yet

Old 05-12-2009, 03:55 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

Yeah, I caught that as I scrolled down the thread page. I had already posted though.

Can we get one of these locked to avoid further confusion?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:56 AM
drewtiss

Originally Posted by baracis
Well Mark, to get the best advice I'd recommend posting in the 1st gen section, but I'm sure the guys in the 3rd gen will help with what we can. As we all know, replacement engine need 3 things, fuel, spark, and air. If he's changed all that I'm assuming he's checked to make sure all the connections are tight and snapped. Have you recently done anything like a tune up to where the firing order could somehow be wrong or anything like that? Does it sit much? You could possibly have water in the fuel line, or at 210,000 miles possibly a clogged fuel filter. I'd start with the small things and pay attention to detail. That's where I've had most of my luck is going back through things and starting small.
This was the topic my uncle is trying to explain to us with my friend last night. This post is kinda clearer than the explanation of my uncle.

Last edited by drewtiss; 07-27-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Dodge Dakota Engine Problems