1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Looking to buy - need quick answers....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:38 AM
maxwgn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy - need quick answers....

I may be buying a 91 Dakota xtended cab 2wd, with 5.2ltr and auto trans.

The truck has 130k miles on ot, and runs good - but there are a few things I'm curious about before making a decision...

1. While it runs really good, the check engine is on all the time - and the truck runs constantly cool - preventing the heater from working - which could be a problem with the upcoming winter. The current owner says he's replaced the water pump and thermostat recently... the hoses to the heater core, after running and getting to op-temp, are only warm to the touch p not as hot as they should be... could the stat be installed wrong? Or the wrong stat installed, etc...?

2. The truck only has the manual windows and locks. How difficult & expensive would it be in install pwr locks and windows?

3. While the A/C is currently working great, I was wondering how difficult it would be to convert to R-134a, in case the AC gave out?

4. Are there any specific things / issues I should consider / look at with this year model?

Old 09-16-2009, 12:47 AM
TheLoBO

Originally Posted by maxwgn

2. The truck only has the manual windows and locks. How difficult & expensive would it be in install pwr locks and windows?
Here in mexico it goes for around 50-80 dollars or so.

my "the check engine is on all the time" is all the time to, since I bought it, error code 22. Im suspecting the sensor was misplaced since its new, (and I saw it installed) or is the Computer unit.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 AM
maxwgn
Rookie

In regards to the pwr windows and locks, I know that a lot of manufacturers used a single wiring harness for all trim levels, so for example, if you bought the base vehicle with manual windows and locks, and pulled off the door panel, the wiring itself was already in place - you just needed to purchase the lock motors, window motor/regulators, and switch controls...

Did Dodge do that for this truck? Or would I have to buy a kit, for example, and wire/install it from scratch?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:09 AM
maxwgn
Rookie

Also, one other thing - this is the 91 model, using the 170hp 318 TBI engine. I have also driven a couple of newer models, also with 318's, but they were all 4X4. Even in 2hi, these trucks, while having the 230hp versions, ran like dogs - had no where NEAR the grunt and pull of the 91 I'm looking at.

Is this NORMAL? I can't imagine that it is.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:09 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. 99% sure it's the thermostat. Someone could have put in a 160 or 180 degree thermmostat. If you want it factory, get a 195 degree for it.

2. I don't know if the harness is there, but that is a very good question. The fastest way for you to find out is to take off the door panel and look for those harnesses. I would think the owner would let you do that before buying it. Its a very easy door panel to get off. Or you can wait for someone who knows for sure to post.

3. I've heard it's very expensive to swap them out. I have no experience with A/C systems though, so again, wait for someone who knows for sure to post.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:57 AM
skyshark186
Captain

For the A/C someone has to completely vacuum out your system and reinstall new freon. Its not cheap. Last I knew it ran around 400-500 to have shop do it. You can still have R12 put in or some stuff someone mentioned on here (I cant remember the name) that is R12 compatible but meets current regs. I wouldnt worry too much about that if I were you...there are options to keep it affordable.

The earlier motors(according to what I read) actually had more power available than many of the later models. Both of my 93 V8's "feel" more powerful than any of the later model rams Ive driven with them. If it puts out a good feel, why question it?

You could turn off then on(to on, not try starting the motor) quickly three times to see what codes it brings up. That would help with the check engine light.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:32 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

I have a '95 318 and mine was always running on the cool side until I replaced the thermostat installed by the previous owner with a 195 degree thermostat so, I will have to agree with the 95_318SLT.

As far as the power window and door lock thing, I can't speak for the rest of the trucks here but I recently replaced the speakers in the doors of mine and much to my dismay, the harness for the power windows and door locks was not there. The only wires going to the door from the cab were the speaker wires. On an up note though, when I was looking to change mine out I found a site where it was going to cost me about $130 to do the power conversion.

I found the website http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...ProductID=3275

Last edited by pashadowops; 09-16-2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: addition to post
Old 09-16-2009, 03:29 PM
maxwgn
Rookie

Ok, well, at this point, it definately looks to be the themo, then. Is any brand / type recommended - or just 195 degree unit?

Also, I was able to get the ECU trouble codes tripping the system :

I know one of these is likely tripped by the wrong thermo.

Any ideas on the others?

Also, if I do end up buying the truck, and fix these issues, is there a process to clear these codes from the ECU?

Old 09-16-2009, 04:12 PM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

I dont know about what the codes mean but i think after the problems bin fixed it will automaticly clear out of the system after running and starting it up for awhile though im not fully sure since mines an 87 and dosnt have the computer equipment though personally i dont like all that computer equipment in the first place

And for the thermistat ive been told i probably have a 180 because my guage dosnt get that high(just up to the second cold side line) but it pushes out a good amount of warm air once its warmed up some

Last edited by ZackN920; 09-16-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:20 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

17 is the temperature related code. The complete list can be found in the faq section at the top of this subforum.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy - need quick answers....