2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 2500 Quad cab guages

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 08:04 PM
Randyd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 2500 Quad cab guages

I recently replaced my dash (cracked like everyone else’s) and after replacing the lower and upper dash, everything mostly back together and gave it a quick check before finalizing with the instrument bezel, and it starts but the guages don’t move, the odometer is blank and lites for items I don’t have (cruise…) comes on. Turn signals work though, so I got that going for me…
any hints? Reset the computer? Check the tires?
thanks for the help

Old 06-15-2024, 08:43 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

Is the connector for the instrument cluster back in properly? Any fuses blown?

Old 06-15-2024, 11:13 PM
Randyd

Only two connectors for the cluster and I’ve reseated it twice. No blown fuses anywhere. Turn signals work and the ‘Brake’ lite works. And with the guages not working, it might be why i have a fuel lite and check eng lite. I have no cruise but I have the lite. Odometer is blank so I’m hoping it’s not a bad PCM.

Old 06-16-2024, 09:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,374 Likes on 3,115 Posts

Mileage is stored in the cluster. (though I think the PCM tracks it too.) On the 98, all the gauges get told what to display via the communications bus, from the PCM. You can do a cluster test, hold the trip/reset button in the cluster, turn the ignition on, then release the button once the test starts. It will turn on all the lights, and run the gauges thru their full sweep. Cluster codes will be displayed in the odometer. Give it a shot, see what happens.

Old 06-16-2024, 03:13 PM
Randyd

Thanks. Tried it and nothing happens. I noticed, while looking under the dash, that there is a wiring harness with several splice connectors that aren’t hooked up. I’ve been looking at schematics to see where they go but only found one opposite end connector where one would go. It’s an orange wire that goes to a relay that’s taped up and can’t see all 4 wires.
Maybe i should be looking for a a ground wire that someone (me) forgot to tie down..

Old 06-16-2024, 03:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,374 Likes on 3,115 Posts

There are a couple under there. The service manual will show you the interior ground locations. Hopefully, it's that simple.

Old 06-16-2024, 09:51 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

If the self test doesn't do anything the cluster doesn't get power/has no proper ground. While all of the gauges are PCM controlled there are quite a few warning lights that are conventional light bulbs directly driven from whatever controls them (turn signals, high beam indicator, parking brake, 4WD). If there are other lights which shouldn't be on it might be a ground issue. Check connector 1 pin 2 (dark blue/white) and pin 6 (yellow) for 12V, pins 4 and 5 for proper ground.

Old 06-17-2024, 08:17 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 386 Likes on 363 Posts

If i remember correctly there are a few ground connections that attach to the steering column bolts(mount under the dash) and one of the side dash support bolts. Trace them and see if they are hooked up.

The following users liked this post:
Randyd (07-15-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 12:21 AM
Randyd

Originally Posted by Moparite
If i remember correctly there are a few ground connections that attach to the steering column bolts(mount under the dash) and one of the side dash support bolts. Trace them and see if they are hooked up.
Thanks for the head-up.
I'm not real bright some days, I was planning on doing the job in a day and after a month (waiting a part) I'm hooking things back up and should have taken a picture of these wires. they are under the steering wheel and they are not all used...as I recall, but the key to my guage issue is in these wires. I've been looking at schematics and trying to chase the wire colors to a splice to see how they are hooked up. If anyone has a '98 around my area, I would love to have a look under your dash.
Thanks for the help/

Old 07-01-2024, 12:24 AM
Randyd

Which is connector 1? I'm presuming you are talking about the two connectors for the cluster. The left one or the right one?
Thanks.

Quick Reply: 98 2500 Quad cab guages