1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Brake Light issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:28 PM
68charger96dakota
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light issues

Ok, my 96 Dakota Sport (2wd, auto, 3.9v6) is doing some funny brake light tricks. While parked and off, parked and running, lights on/off, singals on/off, etc...the brake lights work. Once I get rolling down the road, I lose them. I still have all other lights functioning, just lose the brake lights. I'm blowing the 10amp fuse regularly, I've replace the switch at the pedal and the bulbs in the rear. The wiring at the tail lights looks good (aside from not seeing a groundwire). Is this a wire problem (short or ground out)? Sometimes I'll have the brake lights for 5-6 miles, other times I don't even make it out of the driveway.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes it is a wire problem The typical place to short out is if you got a trailer wires on it. If done improperly it can cause wire problems. Just go over every single inch of wire from the light to the switch.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:54 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

I had a similar problem. One of the previous owners installed a trailer hitch and spliced into the tail light system with those piggy back connectors. You know the ones you just kinda crimp over an existing wire without stripping it. They didn't even put electrical tape over the connections. Once those connections got corroded, it was weird tail light problems.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:38 AM
mazda7475
Veteran

you do have a short. on mine i found the short in the socket itself, it looked good on the outside but when i peeled the rubber sleeve of the socket it was rotted inside. if you can't find a bad wire that might be worth checking.
as for the trailer wiring thing, i think mine was wired by a 5 year old.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:17 PM
68charger96dakota
Amateur

I never thought about in the socket, but I have a feeling it's not going to be that easy, lol. I don't have the set up for trailer lights, so I guess I'll be under the old girl all day checking wires. Thanks for the input guys, I'll let you know what I find.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:10 PM
68charger96dakota
Amateur
Angry Confused

Ok guys, i've been chasing wires and did contuity (i think thats how it's spelled) checks on them. there are 3 wires coming out of the tail light/turn signal/brake light socket. now i have no problems with the tail lights or turn signals, just the brake lights....if i touch any two wires out of that group, my tester beeps. shouldn't it only beep if i'm on the same wire? example: i'll put a lead on the ground and a lead on the "major wire" (black/yellow) and it beeps. any combo gets the same result with and without the bulb in. WHY????? i haven't tore into the actual socket yet, so keep that in mind.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If your doing a continuity test. Then with the light bulb in, the power the meter puts out will travel from one wire and through the bulb and to the other end of the bulb and to that other wire. That is normal. Now with the other bulb you may get that bulb sending power to the other wire. And don't forget if you got a 3rd brake light.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:42 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

you can also get a short in the bulb itself. it has 2 elements and if one blows part of it can drop down and connect with the lower element screwing up everything.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:02 PM
68charger96dakota
Amateur
Default Goona turn it over to semi-pros

I've got new bulbs in the truck, the tests are still screwy....so I'm taking it to a auto mechanic school. My uncle is enrolled and has some hook-ups there. The instructor is gonna fix it and use it as an example for a class, for free. I'll let you guys know what the deal was. Thanks for all the help guys, i'm sure i'll be back when i redo the front suspension and steering, lol.

Quick Reply: Brake Light issues