1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93/97 Dakota Bad Centering Yoke?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Senate427
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93/97 Dakota Bad Centering Yoke?

vehicle- 93 Dakota 4x4 reg V6 auto 180k

When I drive between the speeds of 65 and 75mph my truck makes a vibration/moaning sound that I can feel through the gas pedal. It feels like it's coming from the rear of my truck and also in the morning I hear a brief squeaking sound coming from the rear and that happens when it's bone dry cold. A couple months ago my whole rear drive shaft was rebuilt and new U-joints were installed, so that can't be the problem. I also replaced my rear axle gear oil and the gears looked great.

My buddy owns a 97 Dakota V8 155k and his truck makes the same vibration/grinding sounds at the speed of 75mph, but his sounds a lot louder.

Problem- vibration/moaning is coming from the rear of our trucks at high speeds.

My guess is the yoke?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My guess is U-Joints. Just double check for play in them. Sometimes they don't stay in place. Next wheels are unbalanced. Here this chart may help you. It is located in the FAQ too.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1947777-post6.html

Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Senate427
Veteran

I forgot to mention before I got my drive shaft rebuilt the mechanic told me that my drive shaft was bent and that is why it had to be straighten and rebuilt. I wonder how it got bent?

I will check everything tomorrow and thanks for the vibration chart that will help me.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

Originally Posted by Senate427
I forgot to mention before I got my drive shaft rebuilt the mechanic told me that my drive shaft was bent and that is why it had to be straighten and rebuilt. I wonder how it got bent?

I will check everything tomorrow and thanks for the vibration chart that will help me.
Did they rebalance the driveshaft? I've come across a few places that straighten driveshafts and don't balance them. Like a tire, an unbalanced shaft can cause vibration at high speed.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Az93DKota
Veteran

Is the drive shaft bearing bad?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Senate427
Veteran

I would think the mechanic would balance the drive shaft after it was cut and rebuilt. Anyway, I took my truck out for another drive up to 85 mph to hear the moaning vibration sound a little better. The vibration sounded like it was coming from the front and the same thing with my friends 97 dakota. The vibration is a little deceiving but now I'm 80% sure it's coming from the front of both vehicles.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:29 AM
DCypherThis13

Your issue sounds to me like worn tires and/or front end wear. Check the tires for cupping (waves in the outer edge of the tread), shake down the front end(slop in the tie rods or ball joints), get your tires balanced, and check the wheel bearings. I would say that the most likely source of the noise/vibration is going to be uneven wear in the tires. This is usually caused by worn or bent tie rods or sloppy ball joints. When these parts begin to wear, they allow the tires to "wobble". Over an extended period, it causes the tires to wear unevenly, which in turn can cause noise/vibration. In the event that your front end is tight and free of slop, rotate the worn tires to the rear and the vibration should be less of a nuisance.

Quick Reply: 93/97 Dakota Bad Centering Yoke?