1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

whats next on the repair list for a bad idle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:40 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whats next on the repair list for a bad idle?

so my truck shakes really bad(as previously stated) and what i found out the other day is that once it warms up, every cylinder misses(timing issue?)
so far i replaced and replaced the following...

IACV
TPS
dizzy cap and rotor and plugs(wires are only 6mths and no light show)(plugs were so bad carbon was falling off as i pulled them out)
cps
throttle body gasket
vacuum lines to the tb
some wiring for the fog lights inside the cab(i know it has nothing to do with it but atleast it looks nicer)
and tested the o2 sensor

with no change other than she holds an idle at about 700rpms but shakes really bad.

the next things on my list for tomorrow include,
cleaning of the egr valve
swapping out the boat battery for an actual truck battery
checking for vacuum leaks
putting new license plate light assy on so the cops will stop following me at night(again i know this doesn't have anything to do with the idling problem but it keeps me busy and doesn't hurt to try...lol jk)

oh and while i was fixing a vacuum line that i broke i found that the wires for my injectors where exposed where they were all connected...
anything else that i might be missing(other than a trip to the junkyard)?

Old 04-10-2010, 01:46 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing I didn't see you mention is the MAP sensor.

Although I'm still having a hard time believing there is nothing wrong with your crankshaft position sensor and/or flywheel after the transmission swap... its just too coincidental that a problem like this would show up right after the swap.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 04-10-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:53 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

i was thinking about that and since i can't use my parents car tomorrow that will have to wait and i'm broke unless i dip into savings which i really don't want to do i also want to an oil change since my oil is blacker than the tar on the street lol... i figured i'd cleann my egr valve since it probly hasn't been done since the truck was new(atleast i haven't done it) and an egr valve that hasn't been removed for the last 200k miles is probly dirty or clogged...

Old 04-10-2010, 10:01 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT

Although I'm still having a hard time believing there is nothing wrong with your crankshaft position sensor and/or flywheel after the transmission swap... its just too coincidental that a problem like this would show up right after the swap.
i've been thinking about the cps for a while now..even went to get a new one but the connectors are different(at least for me). i kinda figured this would happen seeing as how chrysler never made a 93 dakota v8 with a manual...
I wonder if engine sludge could be a problem seeing as how i haven't changed the oil since last august. but i managed to do it today and fix my vacuum leaks.

and off the record i fixed my license plate lights and now the back of my truck says odg at night...lol

anyway, i pulled the egr valve off today and it was clogged, so i cleaned it out with a wire brush and put it back on with no change.

I sprayed carb cleaner on the vacuum lines and it seemed to straighten out a bit but when i fixed the vacuum leak i saw little change.

idk...im gonna take a look at the flywheel again(i remember there being 8 slots in it because i counted them before i had it resurface thinking it would be an important detail).

if i don't get it fixed by end of april im going to stick the 383 in there. my dad made a mounting bracket for the transmission in anticipation of the engine swap

Old 04-10-2010, 10:20 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

You could try a CPS out of a 1993 Dodge Ram 5.2 V8. I believe there was a manual version of those, and it should work.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:27 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

its the same connector which doesn't match mine so if i were to use it i would have to rewire it and if it didn't change then i couldn't return it...I'm not worried about it not working im just worried about not getting my 60$ back if it doesn't work. but its worth a try, i'll just have to wait till later to try it...

Old 04-10-2010, 10:29 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

I mean, whats in there now for a CPS? When I did my transmission swap, I found that the connectors were two different lengths! I can't remember which one was longer though.

Have you tried the connectors for both the '93 Ram 5.2 5 speed AND the '95 Dakota 5.2 5 speed?

Old 04-10-2010, 11:15 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

the one i have in there now is the cps out of the 96 v6 ram i clipped the connector off the auto one and the manual one and wired the manual one up. the other day i had a thought of the cps being wired backwards but when i reversed the wiring the truck wouldn't start and almost flooded out.. the last few trips to the autostore the employee and i went through all the ones for the dakotas and early v8 rams. the manual cps connector is (idk how to describe this) kinda reverse from what the automatic is.
but i will definitely check out the cps' again.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:44 AM
LO 619
Captain

I know this post is unrelated to your issues but since we're all manual guys I wanted to ask this stuff hope you don't mind... I don't have a tachometer in my truck, where it goes on other daks i have a fuel gauge there. I'm gunna put one in mine, how was the install? I know you have one in yours shadow. I can tell my truck has been idling high aswell and also I only have one throttle spring. I was looking at the auto throttle setup on my '90 and it looks way diff. I figured that it was related to the auto trans? I might have to take a pic for you guys to see what i'm talking about, cuz since you guys did swaps you might have had the same setup as my '90 or my 88 is missing parts lol

Also the map sensor etc. all the things mentioned here what are the full names? I'm learning everything still so I want to look them up in my manual so I know what/where they are. I'm having some minor running issues that I want to get straight and some of the info in this thread will prob help me aswell.

Last edited by LO 619; 04-11-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 AM
bill55az
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the plenum gasket?

Quick Reply: whats next on the repair list for a bad idle?