1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Gauge, already have bed off

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:35 AM
pashadowops
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kahanabob
The problem is with the eletrical unit in the picture. clean it with some eletrical cleaner or try to find a replacement. My question would be once you clean it how to test it out of the tank, can't turn key to on with the unit out like that maybe turn to key to accy?
You don't need power to it, to test it. You can use an Ohms meter to test the resistance. If the resistance goes up and down as you move the float, you know that part is working. If after you put it all together, the gauge still doesn't work, get a new gauge.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope so too. started with the easiest by testing the gauge, and then go from their down the wires...

Old 07-29-2010, 12:28 PM
kahanabob
Captain

Originally Posted by pashadowops
You don't need power to it, to test it. You can use an Ohms meter to test the resistance. If the resistance goes up and down as you move the float, you know that part is working. If after you put it all together, the gauge still doesn't work, get a new gauge.
So from that pic which leads to i put OHM meter on?

Old 07-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran

I got bored so i painted the back end of the frame

Name:  ba.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  143.4 KB

Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran

that rust on there did not want to come off, so i wire brushed the whole thing, very bumpy under the paint but hey, its black

Old 07-29-2010, 05:01 PM
kahanabob
Captain

did you have to disconect all the lines to the fuel pump to pull it out? if so do the plastic keepers break?

Old 07-29-2010, 06:22 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Best I can remember, you do have to disconnect the lines to pull the pump...but you can get new fuel line clips/retainers at auto parts stores for not much $$.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:57 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

i painted the rims with(if i remember right) 3 coats of duplicolor flat black enamel(each rim got 3 coats) 15min between coats to dry(it was about 70* out) then about a month later i put coat of duplicolor acrylic enamel. the only thing i wish i did was had my tires replaced before i did it because my rims got all scratched up by wal-mart. but i did put another coat of the acrylic enamel last fall before the first snowfall.

kudos to the frame painting, i wish i had done that when i had my bed off. although i didn't have a wire wheel at my disposal

and for the float, try cleaning off the smeared silvery stuff on the float contact, then test it with the truck in acc mode and the fuel pump relay out. thats how i made sure mine worked.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:39 AM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran

Originally Posted by tmacdakota
Best I can remember, you do have to disconnect the lines to pull the pump...but you can get new fuel line clips/retainers at auto parts stores for not much $$.
Mine didnt break but be careful with them, you have to remove the clips ALL the way

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
kudos to the frame painting, i wish i had done that when i had my bed off. although i didn't have a wire wheel at my disposal

and for the float, try cleaning off the smeared silvery stuff on the float contact, then test it with the truck in acc mode and the fuel pump relay out. thats how i made sure mine worked.
I had air compresser tools lol, but it was a PITA. so i just wire brushed the hell out of it then painted it. rust converter, 4 cans of cheap .77 cent paint from wally world, then some nice clear coat lol

Old 07-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran

forgot shadow, my bored was cracked across the resistor so all it would read was E. ill post pics tomorrow but my dad soldered it to bypass the resistor, so its off about 1/8th of a tankish. wont know for sure until i actually drive it. so if anyones needs pics i have a bunch...and i just realized i havent eaten today and its 1130pm.....hmmm.....maybe some pizza and green koolaid...the best..

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge, already have bed off