1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

It Just Dies... Part II

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:45 PM
lootownpunx
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea the overdrive bit that was happening with mine i remember sittin at a stoplight and it was fighting against me on the brakes a lil bit kinda wantin to stall out and sometime stalling.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:13 PM
MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
Amateur

Originally Posted by lootownpunx
yea the overdrive bit that was happening with mine i remember sittin at a stoplight and it was fighting against me on the brakes a lil bit kinda wantin to stall out and sometime stalling.
I dont have that problem, mine doesn't act like its fighting the brakes at all.

But I think that I may have found the problem, today while on my road trip while going down the road I noticed that my tach wasn't working, everything else was mind you and the truck never once quit on me, didn't even faulter at all, just the tach wasn't working. So I turned the key back towards the off position ever so slightly, not enough to shut it down but just a tad, and wholla.... the tach came to life!!!! So my theory is, that its nothing of what I've changed but within the steering column itself, does that make sense to anyone? After all if the contacts in there aren't staying in full contact then it seems like it would shut the truck down right?
Well any who, thats my theory, anyone have an alternative theory, I'd be glad to hear them!!!!

Ok another problem that I've found:
What would make it so I didn't have a fast idle when I first start the truck and it's cold, like first thing in the morning? I've read about axcessive high idle but not any where there wasn't a fast idle.

So far I've changed:
EGR
MAP sensor
TPS
this time around, but earlier this year I've changed all the other stuff except the Crankshaft postition sensor.

Merrie

Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

I'd change that ignition switch...cost about $15 or so. Check the connectors on the 2 temp sensors, sounds like the computer doesn't know the engine is cold when you start it...so it doesn't push the engine to fast-idle/warm-up speed.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ +1 to that...had the same idea

Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 AM
MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
Amateur

I'll check the temp sensor connections but since they don't cost much I'll replace both sensors just to be sure.

On the ignition switch, are you talking about the lock cylinder? I found one at Auto-Zone for like $79.99 a bit much I think, or is it something different than the cylinder? Also I might be able to change my own brakes, rotate my own tires, change EGR, Map, TPS and stuff but how harsh is it going to be for me to change this ignition thingy? After all I don't want to try to install it, turn the key and get an air-bag in the kisser..LOL

And thanks for all the help, it really is greatly appreciated!!!

Merrie

Last edited by MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN; 08-03-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:23 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

Originally Posted by tmacdakota
Do you carry a lot of keys? I had a PT Cruiser and the weight of my wife's enormous key ring eventually trashed the lock cylinder in the starter switch. It would start up and go and run great, but it sometimes die just after a rough spot in the road. I noticed that one day while riding with my wife. Reached over and wiggled the key/starter cylinder and it started right back up....PITA was the starter switch was integrated into the upper, 2-piece steering column on that year model...I had to drop almost $300 just to change the upper steering column with new lock/start switch in the column. Sold the car pretty quickly after that. Next time you're driving, might try to wiggle the starter switch/cylinder gently and see if it loses contact/power and dies. Might be worth a try. If it is the switch, they are pretty cheap and not hard to replace.
Kinda going along with this theory, do you have the tilt steering wheel? I found mine would not want to start sometimes and remembered I had the problem with my F150. The tilt wheel frayed the wires to the ignition switch and it would cut out and not let the truck start until I put the wheel down. Don't know if that will cause the truck to stop running but, thought I would through that out there.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:24 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

It might be your lock cylinder, which the ignition switch rides in...and since it always starts back up it may not be the ignition switch. It's not hard to pull and change the ignition switch, but I've never done the lock cylinder...maybe the service manual explains how. Pulling the ignition switch might tell you if the insides of the lock cylinder are worn...might also try the tilt wheel reposition as pashadowops said...there may be a bad/frayed connection in there.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:46 AM
MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
Amateur

Yes, I have the tilt steering wheel option. However I never tilt it, it stays in one position at all time.
Now, back on the previous problem.... I drove it again yesterday and the darn thing acted worse than it ever did, stalling while going down the road at 50, stalling at 65, stalling when I come to a stop, yep remember I changed the IAC it was the second thing I changed...

CHANGED:
EGR
IAC
TPS
MAP

GOT BUT HAVEN'T CHANGED AS OF YET:
Crankshaft Position Sensor (Will be changed this week, if it stops raining!!!)

The only thing different this time is now its dieseling (did I spell that right?), like it's run out of gas.
Who thinks its time to SHOOT this truck?
I'm really starting to think that all I'm doing is wasting my money on it, but I really like the truck, however..... If I can't figure this out soon I'm going to have to find something different, talk about frustrating!!!

I know that everyone that has comment to this is trying to help me out and I want to thank yous for that and your patience, as this is becoming a real PITA, and very expensive to say the least!!!!

Merrie

Old 08-04-2010, 03:26 PM
MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
Amateur

Originally Posted by MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
Yes, I have the tilt steering wheel option. However I never tilt it, it stays in one position at all time.
Now, back on the previous problem.... I drove it again yesterday and the darn thing acted worse than it ever did, stalling while going down the road at 50, stalling at 65, stalling when I come to a stop, yep remember I changed the IAC it was the second thing I changed...

CHANGED:
EGR
IAC
TPS
MAP

GOT BUT HAVEN'T CHANGED AS OF YET:
Crankshaft Position Sensor (Will be changed this week, if it stops raining!!!)

The only thing different this time is now its dieseling (did I spell that right?), like it's run out of gas.
Who thinks its time to SHOOT this truck?
I'm really starting to think that all I'm doing is wasting my money on it, but I really like the truck, however..... If I can't figure this out soon I'm going to have to find something different, talk about frustrating!!!

I know that everyone that has comment to this is trying to help me out and I want to thank yous for that and your patience, as this is becoming a real PITA, and very expensive to say the least!!!!

Merrie
Please!!!! Can anyone help me on this? Or have other thoughts? Seems like I still have a full head of hair but don't know for how much longer..LoL

Merrie

Old 08-05-2010, 01:19 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when was the last tune up? i.e. cap, rotor, coil

Quick Reply: It Just Dies... Part II