1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

It Just Dies... Part II

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:58 AM
MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
when was the last tune up? i.e. cap, rotor, coil
The last tune up was as follows:

March 19, 2010
Plugs
Plug wires
Rotor button
Distributor cap
PCV Valve
Breather Filter (the one that goes on valve cover)
Air filter
Coil

March 31, 2010
Trans filter & Fluid replacement (ATF+4 Valvoline Full Synthetic)

July 16, 2010
EGR Valve

July 29, 2010
IAC

July 31, 2010
TPS
MAP

August 04, 2010
Crankshaft Position Sensor

I also change my oil every 2000-2500 miles religiously with full synthetic oil.

Merrie

Old 08-05-2010, 08:12 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Have you checked the condition of the lock cylinder and ignition switch for wear? Has it ever set any fault/error codes?
Have you checked fuel pressure on the fuel rail, run some fuel system cleaner through it (Sea Foam)? I'm running out of possible ideas/causes other than wiring.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:12 PM
MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
Amateur

Originally Posted by tmacdakota
Have you checked the condition of the lock cylinder and ignition switch for wear? Has it ever set any fault/error codes?
Have you checked fuel pressure on the fuel rail, run some fuel system cleaner through it (Sea Foam)? I'm running out of possible ideas/causes other than wiring.
I haven't done much with the ignition switch as of yet, and the only code that I got was in the beginning of my troubles it was code 32 which refers to the EGR, after once I changed it the check engine light went out and hasn't come back on since.
I also have not checked the fuel pressure, I have no means to do so.
I have used SeaFoam in the tank at a rate of 1/3 can, I also removed the vaccum line to the brake booster and while the truck was running poured 1/3 can into it slowly then on the last pour drenched it to make the engine stall out, waited 15-20 minutes then started the truck and revved it but only to around 2500 rpm then back to idle alternating between the two (what a smoke show!!! ), to decarbonize the engine, I do not thing that the SeaFoam had anything to do with these problems.
I ran the wireharness and didn't really find anything, but I will do so again, maybe I just missed something along the wires, after all there is alot of wires under there!!!
I too am starting to run out of things to try, as well as money!!!
If anyone else has had similar situations or any other thoughts, I'm all ears!!!
Ok lunch is over so, back to work....

Merrie

Old 08-05-2010, 09:45 PM
MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
Amateur

Well I ran the wireharness again, only this time I done a thorough job. What I found was a cluster of 4 wires that was corroded, so I cut them back until I saw good wire on the inside of the shielding then stripped them back about an inch and twisted them together really good then taped them with liquid electrical tape. Now I'm waiting to see if it's going to act up again. If it doesn't great, FINALLY I got it, then I'll take it back apart and solder it good then put liquid tape on it then rap it in more electical tape!!! If it does then I have no clue as to what it could be!!!

Merrie

Old 08-05-2010, 09:48 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

The fact that it dies randomly but starts back up makes me think something in fuel delivery. The Sea Foam could have crudded up you O2 sensor, but if it did you would be getting a code. Can you make it die by wiggling the key/ignition switch in the lock cylinder?...like you mentioned earlier about your tach? If so, I'd highly suspect a short or faulty ignition switch or lock cylinder...something is randomly losing contact somewhere. I've read where you can bypass the ignition switch by wiring in a push button starter switch, but don't begin to know how to do that...not the safest way of driving around, but it might help you narrow down the probem to the ignition switch/lock cylinder.
Edit: You posted while I was typing...hope your wire discovery/temporary fix does the job. Keep us posted.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you still have a ground wire going from the engine to the body of the truck?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
Amateur

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
do you still have a ground wire going from the engine to the body of the truck?
Yes, I still have the body to engine ground, I cleaned both ends of it really good to make sure that it was getting good grounds.

Now back on the subject of the notorious wiring known to make this great little truck well, not so great!!! I ran the wireharness once more and with the truck running, what I found was not the wire under the PDC but on the opposite side of the truck, nope not near the PCM (well close to it), it was the coil wire as far as I could tell as when I wiggled it the truck just completely died. Well I thought that maybe it was a fluke, so I tried to start it and it wouldn't start at all, I could smell gas though, so I went back around and wiggled the heck out of the coil wire, hit the key again (by the way, I tried wiggling the key to make it die while running but it was un-successful!!!) and it fired up, so I took the coil wire off and looked at the end of the plug, what I found was one of the coil post had broke off somehow. I have been un-successful in trying to make it just die since I've changed the coil .......... go figure, of course I haven't taken it out on the road yet.... I'm almost afraid to!!!
I wiggled and wiggled and wiggled the entire wireharness where I could wiggle it at least and could not get it to even stumble, so I'm hoping that I've figured the problem out..... If I did, well at least all the other stuff is new Well I'm happy once again, or until if faulters anyhow, if it does then I'll be back for some more help.
Thanks everyone for not giving up on me or my NOTORIOUS Dodge!!!

Merrie

Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

That's great news...enjoy your Kota.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:15 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
of course I haven't taken it out on the road yet.... I'm almost afraid to!!!
i feel the exact same way with my clutch on its way out...

congrats on the find...

Old 08-07-2010, 08:32 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Got my fingers crossed for you! Good Luck

Quick Reply: It Just Dies... Part II