1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

It Just Dies... Part II

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:31 PM
MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It Just Dies... Part II

Ok, I thought that after changing the AIC or is IAC, that the problem was fixed but today it decided to start doing the same old habit, quitting while driving down the road.
So I decided to give it new tires and I changed the rims to 2nd generation Dakota rims (not that doing this will change anything but cosmetic looks), and today I changed the MAP sensor and the Throttle position sensor and am hoping that it will solve the problem, but if not I did buy the crankshaft position sensor although I didn't install it, I've been changing one thing at a time trying to see what actually is causing the problem, so with fingers crossed I'm going to take it for a road trip of no more than 40 miles tomorrow.

If anyone has got another though as to why my truck just quits while going down the road I'm all ears!!!

Merrie
..........Merrie

Old 07-31-2010, 07:12 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Will it start back up after it quits? Any power at all? I'm wondering if your fuel pump is about to die...if it has power and is working, you will hear it buzz up/whirr after you roll the key forward before you engage the starter. No buzz/whirr, no fuel.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:58 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check the notorious asd/fuel splice

Old 08-01-2010, 08:07 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

The rims were a nice addition. Good luck on your road trip today.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 AM
MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
Amateur

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
did you check the notorious asd/fuel splice
Yes I ran the entire length of the wire-harness before I went out and bought anything after the IAC and found nothing wrong with it, no corrosion, melts etc.

tmacdakota:
Will it start back up after it quits? Any power at all? I'm wondering if your fuel pump is about to die...if it has power and is working, you will hear it buzz up/whirr after you roll the key forward before you engage the starter. No buzz/whirr, no fuel.
Yes, it has never failed to start, when it quits going down the road at any speed, its like I turn the key to the off position then back to the on position, It catches it self and fires back up on it's own.

dobaroy:
The rims were a nice addition. Good luck on your road trip today.
Thanks, I too thought that they made the truck look a lot better, and with the addition of new Heavy Duty shocks and the new tires it raised the truck almost two inches, I'm thinking of cranking up the torsion bars a bit and going with 33's, although it looks like it might already accept them!!!

I drove it down town last night about 5 miles and it didn't cut out a bit, it ran perfect, so I'm hoping that it will do the same when I take it 40 miles one way then back!!!

Merrie

Old 08-01-2010, 02:03 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

when it dies does it seem to choke out like its not getting fuel? does it sometimes die right after putting it in gear? any specific speed your driving at when it dies?

Old 08-01-2010, 03:10 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Do you carry a lot of keys? I had a PT Cruiser and the weight of my wife's enormous key ring eventually trashed the lock cylinder in the starter switch. It would start up and go and run great, but it sometimes die just after a rough spot in the road. I noticed that one day while riding with my wife. Reached over and wiggled the key/starter cylinder and it started right back up....PITA was the starter switch was integrated into the upper, 2-piece steering column on that year model...I had to drop almost $300 just to change the upper steering column with new lock/start switch in the column. Sold the car pretty quickly after that. Next time you're driving, might try to wiggle the starter switch/cylinder gently and see if it loses contact/power and dies. Might be worth a try. If it is the switch, they are pretty cheap and not hard to replace.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:31 PM
lootownpunx
Professional

i remember my 92 had that problem for a bit.....ended up plugging the egr i think,the truck wass trying to go into overdrive (5.2 4x4)

Old 08-01-2010, 04:51 PM
MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
Amateur

Originally Posted By Shadowthedakota: when it dies does it seem to choke out like its not getting fuel? does it sometimes die right after putting it in gear? any specific speed your driving at when it dies?
Nope, when going down the road it just simply acts like I shut the ignition off then turn it back on, doesn't matter what speed its just random.

Originally Posted By tmacdakota: Do you carry a lot of keys? I had a PT Cruiser and the weight of my wife's enormous key ring eventually trashed the lock cylinder in the starter switch. It would start up and go and run great, but it sometimes die just after a rough spot in the road. I noticed that one day while riding with my wife. Reached over and wiggled the key/starter cylinder and it started right back up....PITA was the starter switch was integrated into the upper, 2-piece steering column on that year model...I had to drop almost $300 just to change the upper steering column with new lock/start switch in the column. Sold the car pretty quickly after that. Next time you're driving, might try to wiggle the starter switch/cylinder gently and see if it loses contact/power and dies. Might be worth a try. If it is the switch, they are pretty cheap and not hard to replace.
Nope, it's just a single key, infact there isn't even a key ring on it because I leave a key in the ignition at all times.

Originally Posted By lootownpunx: i remember my 92 had that problem for a bit.....ended up plugging the egr i think,the truck wass trying to go into overdrive (5.2 4x4)
I already replaced the egr valve, as that was my first thought as well.

This problem is very random... It will run perfect for 2 or 3 days straight then all of a sudden it's back to it's old habits, then other times it could do it everytime that I take the truck out for a spin.
I didn't get a chance to take it on a road trip today but I'm going to do it tomorrow!!!

Merrie

Old 08-01-2010, 05:33 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

check for a loose battery wire just to say you did. i had a car that would shutdown randomly and all it was was a loose wire. you might have a loose wire going to the ignition switch or like lootownpunx said there could be something in the ignition switch itself

Quick Reply: It Just Dies... Part II