1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

tranny leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 01:29 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by russ29ny
thanks look it over. You have been a lot of help in the past
Russell
Originally Posted by russ29ny
still need help with the one line. according to the diagram they are good. can i hook it up to any vacuum line?
Yes just about any vacuum off of the manifold will work.

I do my best.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 AM
russ29ny
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much.
This site has helped very much. Since my son hates this great little truck its mine again.
He bought him self a go cart sounding car...lol.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Groggy
Rookie
Default help

I hope you guys can help me out...
I have a leak that appears to be coming from the bell housing. I was hoping that it was the pan gasket, but changed that and the fluid and it's still staining my driveway. What sort of failure causes leaks from there with a symptom of the truck needing a minute after startup for the tranny to get going and feel solid. It's fine by the time I get to the stop sign at the end of my street. Can a failed seal at the input shaft leak fluid while driving and let fluid out of the Torque converter when stopped too. Then at startup the pump needs to pressurize the Torque converter all over again?

Thank you in advance!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:15 PM
russ29ny
Amateur

I would say a bad seal. Under $20 to fix,but you have to drop the tranny to get at it. With mine i had a chunk that broke off the Converter that popped the seal. While i had it dropped i adjusted the bands. Pain in the ***, but i didn't wanna drop $500-$600 for them to replace a $20 seal.lol
So good luck .
Hope that helps

Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Groggy
Rookie

Ugg, That is both what I feared and hoped for. I did a tranny swap between an O24 and a Reliant back in High School. I could handle those, but I'm not sure I can bench press a 46RE. What are the chances that the seal would "blow" for lack of a better term? Sounds like I get to buy the floor jack with the Tranny adapter I've wanted.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:58 PM
russ29ny
Amateur

It was awkward but i just used my reg jack. What i did also was use my come along and the two loose straps from my tie downs. Tied the ends and looped it over the come along that i attached to the rafters. Dropped the straps between the engine and the firewall and placed the hooks on the tranny loops. Used the come along to support the weight of the tranny to drop it and to raise it back. After i did this it took only 30 min to get it raised and bolted in. Was to cheap to buy a tranny jack LOL.
If you have any questions text or email me.
russ29ny@yahoo.com

Old 02-26-2011, 12:07 AM
Groggy
Rookie

That's a sweet Idea... Wanna hear something funny... I have a '77 Fiat Spider hanging from the trusses in my garage right now... supported with ratchet straps!!! Just the body, the suspension and drive line are on shelves, and It did not come with an Interior!

Old 02-26-2011, 02:00 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Groggy. I'm in New Mexico too, Albuquerque. Looks like you go camping with that travel trailer. Where do you like to go? I like to go to the Jemez mountains and to Eagles nest and Norther area. I've been wanting to go to Elephant Butte sometime.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Groggy
Rookie

We were up at the Santa Cruz Reservoir Dam last Labor day, and we went to Percha Dam State Park (Elephant Bute is just a little further north) a couple of times. We did The Lower Gila Box Canyon over the 4th, We were at Pinon down south of the Sacramento Forest over Memorial weekend. Along with a few runs to Capitan, NM for the Fort Stanton Cave Study Project. I only recently got the D for towing (Tillery Chevrolet in Moritary), last year I had a JGC with the 4.0 for all those trips. It did well, but I wanted more grunt! Now I'm concerned about the Seal on the Input shaft :-( Especially with the added load of towing.

Quick Reply: tranny leak