1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Extended cab subwoofer placement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Alacoque
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended cab subwoofer placement?

I'm looking to get some fairly decent bass out of my sound system so I'm looking toward subwoofers. But I don't want to sacrifice a seat or any leg room. I have thought of two possibilities:

1) Buy two 8" shallow subwoofers and put them in a slim enclosure and place them under the front seats. I did a rough measurement and there seems to be about 4" of space under there. The shallowest subwoofer I could find has a depth of 3.6", so I'm pretty sure there's no way its going to fit with an enclosure around it. Heres a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-SW8...8785947&sr=1-1

Another option would be to sacrifice a little sound quality and go with two of these that are only 3" tall. Amp built in! But I've heard they aren't built very well and don't last.
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLBASS8-8...786121&sr=1-11

2) My second idea (this will be super cool if it works out!!) is to cut a custom subwoofer hole in each of the interior side-walls in the back seat and mount an 8" on each side (right below the stock speakers). But to have an end result that looks good could be challenging. I would have to take the sides of the back cushion off permanently then cut a hole in the side panel as well as the body right underneath it. As far as I know, there should be plenty of extra depth to work with if the mounting depth of the sub (above) is only 2 1/2".

I should post a picture of the area I want to cut the hole in, its too hard to explain in writing! Some ideas/input/advice would be appreciated! Thanks alot

Last edited by Alacoque; 02-27-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:05 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL I already tried to put 10in subs in the rear sides. I cut a section under the seat, where half the speaker would be exposed. But it rattled to much. I used the expanding foam to reinforce it but it wasn't enough.

So I built a box under the rear seats. I put two 10's in it. That would be the best choice.

I do like the 2nd link you posted. I have a similar sub box under my seat in my Suzuki from factory. I don't know the size but of coarse it is not a 12 but it still hits good way better than any stereo without subs.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:44 AM
Alacoque
Rookie

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
LOL I already tried to put 10in subs in the rear sides. I cut a section under the seat, where half the speaker would be exposed. But it rattled to much. I used the expanding foam to reinforce it but it wasn't enough.

So I built a box under the rear seats. I put two 10's in it. That would be the best choice.

I do like the 2nd link you posted. I have a similar sub box under my seat in my Suzuki from factory. I don't know the size but of coarse it is not a 12 but it still hits good way better than any stereo without subs.
yeah that could be a way to go. Do you have any pics of your sub setup? That would help alot

Old 02-27-2011, 02:56 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

No I don't got any pictures I got rid of it when I killed the amp. Similar to this pic.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:03 AM
Alacoque
Rookie

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
No I don't got any pictures I got rid of it when I killed the amp. Similar to this pic.

Okay so I would have to replace what is already under there. And would the seats always have to be up?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

I would keep them up when I didn't need them to keep clear sound. But when the rear seats are needed just flip them down. I got the subs to be flush with the top to keep them from getting damaged when someone is sitting on top.

The other option is what I did before the box was a small removable box. A quick simple plug on the back and toss the box in the bed of the truck when space is needed. It was a 8in box that I tossed 10s into, it even had handles to make it easier. I think it was the kind to put in a single cab truck behind the seat.

This kind would work for a quick removable unit.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Z Guy
Rookie

i used to be in custom car audio.. the removable boc is the easiest and cheapest was to do it.
other options are like crazy did, custom box under rear seats, custom rear center console with cup holders and such(takes up room, but can still seat 2, or change front to bucket seats and have a sub built into the center console...
one important thing to remember is the placement of the amp.. it needs air to cool or it can burn up quick

Old 02-28-2011, 04:04 PM
druski
Amateur

im getting ready to put two 10" infinity's under my rear seats going to make the box out of half inch mdf. I will try and take pics as i go but should work out.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Alacoque
Rookie

Originally Posted by druski
im getting ready to put two 10" infinity's under my rear seats going to make the box out of half inch mdf. I will try and take pics as i go but should work out.
okay thanks! you should post them here

Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Alacoque
Rookie

Originally Posted by druski
okay thanks! you should post them here

Quick Reply: Extended cab subwoofer placement?