1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

More Engine timing... And Carb help..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:36 AM
Saltys
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More Engine timing... And Carb help..

I got the crank 0 TDC and i kno the engine should run.. however i cant get it to crank what may i be doing wrong. i definatly got the distributior wired correctly but how senstitve are the rotation when you rotate the cap?

Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Saltys
Rookie

btw for the last month ive been riding my bicycle 14miles to and from work so id love to get this truck running.. Itd really help to get some pics of the 87 engine bay with the air cleaner off and specifically some shots of the carb... I had em but i guess my girlfriend deleted them out of my phone...

Old 04-18-2011, 06:55 AM
siggie30
Captain

Not cranking or not firing? Are you getting spark? Are you getting fuel?

Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Saltys
Rookie

getting fuel and spark... almost got it to crank today even tho its still not holding water... water pump this time BUT THE HEADS ARNT LEAKING!!! atleast i accomplished somthing.... i got my battery fully charged at orilleys but i ran it dead... i tried the dizzy in every position and still couldnt get it to fire it tried a few times but just wouldnt turn all the way over... IDK WTF to do now.... IM really almost fed up with this after two tear downs and TWO fails... I saw the pics the guy posted in the other thread but they wernt that great but it seems that i got everything connected correctly i just cant get it to crank up again.. it was running before i tore it down tho...

Old 04-18-2011, 07:32 PM
siggie30
Captain

Originally Posted by Saltys
getting fuel and spark... almost got it to crank today even tho its still not holding water... water pump this time BUT THE HEADS ARNT LEAKING!!! atleast i accomplished somthing.... i got my battery fully charged at orilleys but i ran it dead... i tried the dizzy in every position and still couldnt get it to fire it tried a few times but just wouldnt turn all the way over... IDK WTF to do now.... IM really almost fed up with this after two tear downs and TWO fails... I saw the pics the guy posted in the other thread but they wernt that great but it seems that i got everything connected correctly i just cant get it to crank up again.. it was running before i tore it down tho...

Well if your getting fuel and spark, then next is timing. The distributor is fairly sensitive, but if it isn't hitting all that great then recheck your distributor timing in relation to TDC, then recheck the rotor and direction of the wires. I know it sounds silly, but the biggest headaches I have had to trace were the dumbest and/or simplest things.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Saltys
Rookie

well the wires are correct but just out of curiousity... where should i have the pin in the cap pointed to? i kno this thing had to of spun when it was being moved around after i took it out..

Old 04-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Saltys
Rookie

cuz if i can get it to crank without the hiccup then new waterpump gaskets make sense to buy if not then it only makes sense to buy a used running engine for 300 bucks.. and stop dumping all my money into this engine thats more trouble than its worth and i paid 600 for the truck in the first place and 200 in parts so far i have 100 in my pocket i should have jus bought the engine and not these parts.... but F'in my luck right...

Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 PM
siggie30
Captain

cuz if i can get it to crank without the hiccup then new waterpump gaskets make sense to buy if not then it only makes sense to buy a used running engine for 300 bucks.. and stop dumping all my money into this engine thats more trouble than its worth and i paid 600 for the truck in the first place and 200 in parts so far i have 100 in my pocket i should have jus bought the engine and not these parts.... but F'in my luck right...
The rotor button will point in "a direction" when your number 1 cylinder is TDC. If you don't like the direction you can reset the gear drive around. I belive it typically points at the #2 cylinder (right front). After that, you drop your distibutor on the blade and that is considered TDC for the rotor button. This is the time that you mark the orientation between the block and the distributor shaft. This is also where the number 1 spark plug wire goes and the rest of the wires are based on that orientation.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Saltys
Rookie

cuz i had it in TDC and pointing at the #1 cly.. maybe thats why it sputtered and backfired but wouldnt crank (backfired out the carb). ill try that tomorrow.. i got like 20 min of light and i wouldnt be able to do that in time...

Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 PM
siggie30
Captain

cuz i had it in TDC and pointing at the #1 cly.. maybe thats why it sputtered and backfired but wouldnt crank (backfired out the carb). ill try that tomorrow.. i got like 20 min of light and i wouldnt be able to do that in time...

Not to sound offensive, but confirm you wired the distributor clockwise.

Quick Reply: More Engine timing... And Carb help..