1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1988 Dakota Project?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No lift yet, when I do it I will need to replace a lot of bushings and such. Probably some 3" coil spacers in the front stacks and add an extra leaf or two to the rear stacks is my plan.

I also installed a new rear view mirror out of a newer GMC truck, it has map lights on the bottom. It actually slid right onto the factory "button" already on the glass, I just need to wire it to my dome light now:
Name:  Untitled-2-2.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  108.2 KB
Name:  Untitled-1-5.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  102.6 KB

Old 03-21-2012, 02:14 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking good.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:32 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I'm getting really sick of getting stuck everywhere I go! This truck is absolutely useless it's a fluckin car with a bed on it!! Snow, mud, sand, I can't go anywhere without getting stuck and I've had it. Every time I get stuck I end up beating on my truck redlining my RPMs tryna rock it out of ruts it makes me cringe. Obviously upgrading to 4x4 is just too much work for this regular cab but somethings got to be done if I'm going to keep this thing, my blood pressure rises so high I mean you could probably shoot me in the foot and I'd be less pissed off then when I get stuck (not to mention the gas I blow through just trying to get unstuck!)

Name:  IMG_0476.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  121.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0473.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  84.3 KB

I'm hoping with a 3" suspension lift and some wheels 1-2" taller (and much wider) I won't get stuck as much and without 4x4 a wench might be a good investment to keep the ol' blood pressure down I'm not exactly sure how my rear axle works with/without posi? Currently if one wheel slips the power is transferred to the opposite wheel right? Seems as if in reverse my rear end locks and both wheels spin at the same rate/speed (I realize this is not true for drive or my tires would squeal around corners on pavement). It would be nice to be able to manually lock the rear end when I get stuck, isint that called posi-lock or locking your differential?

I had to have my father come out with his truck and chain up to my rear bumper....thing is I wanted to drop my rear bumper for a roll-pan soon, I will have to figure out a way to have a little door on the roll-pan I can open and access a hook or maybe just weld a brace between the frame rails under the roll-pan?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why are you taking the 2wd where you would need 4wd in the first place? Larger/wider tires may help. Along with a winch to get you out, until then take a shovel keep a few 2x6's in the bed if needed ect. Momentum is key to keep going, if you need to make a stop try to do it on solid ground or on a hill where you can roll down.

If you really need a 4wd then do a SAS or a 4wd conversion, I know you said to much work at this point. Or just sell the 2wd and buy a 4wd.

As far as the differential you have an Open diff, which most vehicles have. On these when the traction becomes loose the tire with the least amount of traction will spin.

Posi is a LSD Limited Slip Differential they will add some tension to the spider gears which helps a bit to the other side that doesn't spin. But it is not a full locker and does not give 50/50 split of the power. Maybe 20/80 or less.

Lockers are true 50/50. There are electronic and air select-able lockers, which you can hit a switch and be locked and unlock for street time. There are automatics which automatically control when your locked and unlocked which can be a little rough on streets on tight turns from dead stops.

I have the Powertrax No-Slip I love it, full 50/50 when I need it. Easy to install and not to expensive. Here is a link. http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/PartsL...D=102&CatID=36

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 03-28-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:30 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I needed to access some scrap metal to pay some bills I'm having a hard time staying employed at the moment.

I've gotten some reply's on other sites regarding my post and they have recommended to find a 5-lug 4.5 LSD rear axle out of a Jeep in a junkyard. It would be dirt cheap, and I could gear down my ring and pinion at the same time to give my truck a little more punch. Pretty sure Jeep yokes will bolt up to my Dakota drive shaft right?

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 03-29-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:29 AM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pink, I have read this whole thread - WOW! You are doing a great job! My favorite thing you did is the BMW seats. BMW seats in a Dakota - I would have never thought of that! And they are electric, right?

I second getting a winch. And, it seems to me if you really want a 4WD, you would be better off just finding one you can work on instead of trying to make the '88 into 4WD. Keep the posts coming! You have inspired me to do more to my '93.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:41 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MacDak
pink, I have read this whole thread - WOW! You are doing a great job! My favorite thing you did is the BMW seats. BMW seats in a Dakota - I would have never thought of that! And they are electric, right?

I second getting a winch. And, it seems to me if you really want a 4WD, you would be better off just finding one you can work on instead of trying to make the '88 into 4WD. Keep the posts coming! You have inspired me to do more to my '93.
Thank you! Yes they are electric, every direction thinkable...even the head rests go up and down on a motor, they are heated, several "batters" in the seat that can be filled with air to stiffen locations.

Yes I am not converting this to 4x4 at this point, but an LSD/lockers in the rear are really needed. Someday I will find a 92-96 regular cab/long bed and chop the long bed and frame so my rear axle is really far back then throw an 87-91 nose/clip on it. Posts will never stop! lol

Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I have been trying to determine whether to repair or replace my bed, so I removed the bed liner:
Name:  IMG_9651.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  141.6 KB

It's clean and repairable!
Name:  IMG_0613.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  170.2 KB

There are a few spots in a line not sure if there is a mount there or something or why they formed in a line here:
Name:  IMG_0617.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  133.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0621.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  199.0 KB

I will cut the wheel well out and weld in a new one then remove this surface rust:
Name:  IMG_0624.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  138.1 KB

Old 04-19-2012, 02:39 AM
SubrinaIsMyCar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a lot of time and effort.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 AM
T.C.
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
I have been trying to determine whether to repair or replace my bed, so I removed the bed liner:

Replace the bed HA!!! Your bed is something I try and search for to replace mine. I would not replace it, your laughing. Ill throw up some pic's of my bed, and that needs to be replace but I'll probably just repair it.

Also to get back at the topic of 4x4. Shockingly I know quite a bit about it since being a Albertan, If you feel that you like that sorta thing I would definately sell the dakota and replace for something bigger and heavier. Maybe a ram if you want to keep with dodge or switch for an old ford if they aren't rusted out over there.

Quick Reply: 1988 Dakota Project?