1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Direct plug-in speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Honda.74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct plug-in speakers

Hey, my radio stopped working a couple days ago and when i find out the problem i plan on replacing the radio and speakers. Im getting a used radio off craigslist and speakers from walmart. I was wondering if these speakers will work for my truck and if any wiring is necessary. They are:

DUAL DLS524 5.25 4-Way 160W Speaker
DUAL DLS574 5" x 7" 4-Way 160W Speakers

Also, are their any brands of radios to look for? Something cheap i can find on craigslist.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Honda.74

Its a 1995 extended cab Dakota if that helps.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:38 PM
g. man
Veteran

Dual brand sucks, and won't last. But that's why we have boycotted Walmart for years now. Cheap crap sold cheap.
I think just about any speaker will work without any additional wiring lol.
The only thing you'll have to do is buy a wiring adapter kit for the actual stereo, or just cut the old wiring harness, and instal the new one. You need to know what wires are what though. Fairly simple. The stereo usually has a wiring diagram on it, and can usually find the wiring diagram for the truck harness online. The downloadable manual in the FAQ on this site probably has it. The adapter kit is like 15 bucks IIRC.
I would stick with a well known brand. Sony, pioneer, alpine, blaupunkt, ect... The others don't last, and are just a waste of money. Hope this helps some. Good luck

Old 10-30-2011, 08:47 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Originally Posted by g. man
Dual brand sucks, and won't last. But that's why we have boycotted Walmart for years now. Cheap crap sold cheap.
I think just about any speaker will work without any additional wiring lol.
The only thing you'll have to do is buy a wiring adapter kit for the actual stereo, or just cut the old wiring harness, and instal the new one. You need to know what wires are what though. Fairly simple. The stereo usually has a wiring diagram on it, and can usually find the wiring diagram for the truck harness online. The downloadable manual in the FAQ on this site probably has it. The adapter kit is like 15 bucks IIRC.
I would stick with a well known brand. Sony, pioneer, alpine, blaupunkt, ect... The others don't last, and are just a waste of money. Hope this helps some. Good luck
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't ever even list cutting the factory wires as an option!!! Just pay for the harness. It is around $15. But I do like your list of well known brands and I also encourage to stay away from cheap crap when it comes to audio.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 PM
g. man
Veteran

Originally Posted by melodytoinvent
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't ever even list cutting the factory wires as an option!!! Just pay for the harness. It is around $15. But I do like your list of well known brands and I also encourage to stay away from cheap crap when it comes to audio.
Lol, I totally agree. But the option is there, and someone may have already done it. When I got my last civic I only had about 3 inches of wire to work with way up under the dash. Took me almost all day, doing the pretzel to get the new stereo installed lol. Good times

Old 10-30-2011, 09:00 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Also unless you buy adapters for the speaker harnesses you'll have to cut those wires. Which I don't encourage cutting those either, but cutting those is nowhere near as bad as the stereo harness haha

Old 10-30-2011, 09:02 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Originally Posted by g. man
Lol, I totally agree. But the option is there, and someone may have already done it. When I got my last civic I only had about 3 inches of wire to work with way up under the dash. Took me almost all day, doing the pretzel to get the new stereo installed lol. Good times
Lol exactly the same here. Thats why I hate it soooooo much.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:02 PM
g. man
Veteran

Doesn't the adapter kit come with everything? It just plugs into your factory harness which includes all wiring I thought.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:13 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

i put 2 duals in my truck and have had them in for 2 years and nothin wrong with them yet. I usually have the radio up to about max so they have held up real well, no great on base but the music i listen to dosnt use a lot of base so there good

Old 10-30-2011, 09:17 PM
eddys89vert
Amateur

yes the adapter has the wires for the STEREO but NOT the speakers.

Quick Reply: Direct plug-in speakers