1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1988 3.9L Tune-Up Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 1988 3.9L Tune-Up Advice?

I already changed the plugs with Bosch Platinum Plus, the air filter will soon to be removed (including snorkel tube assembly/housing) for an open chrome topper. I did run a can of Seafoam through half a tank of gas, not a single puff of smoke.

These are the products I chose to go with, has anyone used Motor Flush before? I bought it because I'm switching from standard to a full synthetic motor oil, my manual says the motor only holds 4 quarts. I went with a Mobil1 filter not like it really makes a difference but an oil company must know how to filter oil right? haha They also had K&N and Bosch, my Mobil1 says "Extended Performance - High Capacity" not sure if this exceeds a stock oem filter.

I also bought 4 quarts of ATF +4 full synthetic, and a tranny filter. The only way to drain all the fluid is with a vacuum pump right? Like they do at Speedy, but all I can do is drop the pan. I will be mixing a full synthetic oil with the regular and bad oil, such a shame.

Name:  IMG_9335.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  143.8 KB

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 11-11-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:54 AM
Sauxon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I do a tranny flush I just drop the pan to drain it. although I cross threaded one of my bolts right by the exhaust last time... ughh I hate myself
and the oil filter will work fine, just remember to replace it often. I might buy an extended life one but i still like to do it every 5000 kms

Old 11-11-2011, 11:56 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Well, I'm not using the MOTOR flush on my tranny but, I was told you can not fully drain it. Most the tranny oil stays in the pump and lines you can only change 4/? quarts. I will be careful when re-torquing my bolts.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:10 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Can anyone tell me if it is bad to take an air hose with a rag around the engine oil filling neck and blast air through the engine when draining the oil? After it was done dripping I did this and got probably another 1/2 quart of oil and maybe even the crap laying on the bottom...but I'm not sure if that was a bad thing to do or not?

Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM
ngtyler1s
Rookie

Watch out on the transmission refill lol. I had to make two trips back to oreillys once because somehow all of the fluid drained out of my transmission when I dropped the pan. It took 7.5 quarts to fill it back up. Completely freaky and defys what the service manual says but it happened. I have the 42RH

Old 10-16-2012, 03:22 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I have the 3-speed non-overdrive transmission, I would be very happy if I were you. I can't get all my fluid out or I would....what's the point of changing only half your oil and letting the new delude with the old, I would rather replace it all. I only got 3 or 4 quarts out of mine though.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Richard Graves
Amateur

As far as the transmission goes, I flushed mine as described here. It was easy and worked perfectly. Solved 99% of my problems. I did it because the previous owner did not use ATF+4 fluid.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:48 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

At this point I could care less I want a 5-speed, I still would like to know about the air line down the filling neck technique I tried and if it could cause damage...

This time instead of Motor Flush I'm thinking about just using a quart or more of kerosene in my engine.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:44 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I'm not sure HOW..but I dodged an air filter last year on my tune up, and previous to that it was probably only tuned-up once every few years. I bet this air filter has 10,000 miles on it!
Name:  IMG_2061.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  708.4 KB

Here is the inside!
Name:  IMG_2058.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  644.6 KB

My grandfather said this could improve gas mileage, I hope so. I could replace the stock filter for $15, spend $50 on a K&N or $20 on this Spectre which is the exact same thing as the K&N; it even says so on the side:
Name:  IMG_2065.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  561.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2066.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  516.3 KB

Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
At this point I could care less I want a 5-speed, I still would like to know about the air line down the filling neck technique I tried and if it could cause damage...

This time instead of Motor Flush I'm thinking about just using a quart or more of kerosene in my engine.

You aren't hurting anything by blowing air in the crankcase (as long as you don't build too much pressure), but you're not gaining anything, either. It might make you feel better to get that last little bit of oil out of there, but it makes no difference to the life of your engine. I would NOT use any kind of motor flush, though (including kerosene) because some of it can remain in the engine and dilute the new oil. Also, it's just not necessary. If you use a quality oil and don't drive a bunch of very short trips, you'd be amazed how clean the inside of your engine will look, even at 200k miles or more.

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
I'm not sure HOW..but I dodged an air filter last year on my tune up, and previous to that it was probably only tuned-up once every few years. I bet this air filter has 10,000 miles on it!
That filter doesn't look that bad. Yes, I would replace it, but I've seen far worse.

I could replace the stock filter for $15, spend $50 on a K&N or $20 on this Spectre which is the exact same thing as the K&N; it even says so on the side:
By your reasoning, it's also exactly the same as a Fram.

Last edited by Tom A; 10-25-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting

Quick Reply: 1988 3.9L Tune-Up Advice?