1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Brake adjusting

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 11:08 PM
ddgdkt96
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake adjusting

Hello all,
I had done my brakes about a year ago, and yesterday I was driving and a sound and feel of grinding was coming from the front end right side.

I had heard it before but just though it was because she is old. But I checked and the pads had worn down, literally to the metal, it was beginning to cut into the metal.

Here is the thing, the brakes are not that old and I figured maybe the rear brakes are improperly adjusted. I know how to adjust them mostly, but how do I know if I got them adjusted right. Can any one answer that? How do I know when the rear brakes are adjusted properly?

thanks

Old 12-04-2011, 01:20 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Which ones are worn out? (You said "pads had worn down" but asked about adjustment of the rear brakes. But the rear brakes are drums, which have brake shoes.)

To adjust the rear drum brakes, you turn the star-wheel until there is a slight drag when you manually turn the tire. Then, you "loosen" it just enough to eliminate the drag.
Then, you go on a test drive, and, according to the book, make a complete (non-rolling) stop going forward, than a complete stop moving backwards. Do this 8-10 times. It's supposed to be adjusted then.

Not sure how much driving you have done in the last year. Could be that the pads you got (or, shoes, if rear) where just bad.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:58 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

When you installed the new pads did you put calipers on as well, or was it just the pads? Maybe the calipers are not releasing all the way. About the rear brakes, if your self adjusters are working, then they should adjust themselves when backing up.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:48 AM
ddgdkt96
Professional

Yes, I had put in new calipers in the front. Originally they were hanging up, but after changing the lines and calipers they stopped.

I was thinking that the fronts were doing all the work, so I figured the rears were maladjusted. But I had adjusted them and I go backwards often, so they are constantly adjusting.

I think the pads I put in were cheapos.

I would love to hear more if anyone has something else.

thanks all

Old 12-05-2011, 10:08 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as the rear brakes are concerned, some of us have problems where they won't self-adjust like they should.
So it is possible that all along they weren't self-adjusting. Might be worth taking a look.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you replace the rotor/hub assembly too? If you did, the bearings could be installed wrong, and if you didn't change the rotor/hub assembly, than maybe your bearings are shot. If the sound is coming from the front end, than your problem likely lies in the front end (however sound can travel and throw you off..)

Old 12-05-2011, 04:00 PM
ngtyler1s
Rookie

Mine was going through pads and warping rotors up front every year. The rear shoes were good but after 200,000 miles the drum surfaces in the rear were worn down too much and were too smooth so the rear brakes weren't doing much at all and abusing the front brakes. I found this out one day I slid through a red light because the fronts were locking up but the rear wasn't doing much of anything

Old 12-05-2011, 04:15 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ngtyler1s
Mine was going through pads and warping rotors up front every year. The rear shoes were good but after 200,000 miles the drum surfaces in the rear were worn down too much and were too smooth so the rear brakes weren't doing much at all and abusing the front brakes. I found this out one day I slid through a red light because the fronts were locking up but the rear wasn't doing much of anything
you sure the ABS didn't kick in? remember, these things only have rear ABS, therefore, if the front locks up, its really hard to tell what the back is doing. Plus, they are only drums in the rear, theres not much braking power in drums. However, if you changed the rear and everything is working noticeably better now, then I stand corrected..

Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 PM
ddgdkt96
Professional

Thanks, I am thinking I should check out how well the rears are adjusted.

I have a little bit of warp in the front since I wore down the pads to the metal, but its not too bad.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:16 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Originally Posted by ngtyler1s
Sliding through a red light has happened to us twice because of the ABS and it is a bad feeling . . . nothing you can do.

Quick Reply: Brake adjusting