1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Problem really bad now

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:58 AM
1stG92
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ministock6
If the pressure is fine at idle, do a volume check, also I had one that had good pressure while idling, so taped the fuel pressure gauge to windshield and drove it and when driving down the road the pressure came down to 15 psi or so, you said when you unplug the regulator it ran good? Unplugging the regulator gives more fuel pressure, so by that statement your pump is bad
What I meant about unplugging the regulator was the vacuum line.Made it run a little better but didn't cure it.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:48 AM
ministock6
Rookie

that's what i meant by unplugging the regulatro (vacuum line) gives it more fuel pressure, hope you get it. let us know. thanks,

Old 01-15-2012, 01:29 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ministock6
Unplugging the regulator gives more fuel pressure, so by that statement your pump is bad
How is that so? IF you unplug the regulator and it gives more fuel pressure, it tells ME, that the regulator is bad, NOT the pump... The PUMP is still holding pressure, and creating pressure, its the REGULATOR thats "telling" the PUMP to give the wrong pressure.........

thats just what I would figure tho. As always, I could be wrong

Old 01-15-2012, 01:50 PM
ministock6
Rookie

when you pull the vacuum off the regulator it causes the fuel pressure to rise, the regulator keeps it from going to high, This is just things i have noticed on other vehicles, chevy truck do the same thing, regulator keeps pressure from being to high, I could be wrong about dodge, but the only reason i brought this up is becacuse i thought your post said it ran better with the vacuum line off, this to me means its getting more fuel preassure to injectors, you said it ran better but not right, that why i mentioned about the one i drove with fuel pressure gauge taped to window and pressre went down whlile driving. Pumps can show good on gauge at idle but that doesn't mean they are 100 % good. I just put a pump in a 99 tahoe, had 45 with key on, spec says not enough, started and died, the longer i jumped the relay to make pump run the worse it was, by the time i started to drain gas from tank it wouldn't run at all unless i beat on bottom of tank and then only for a few seconds. I'm not saying thats it but if you cant find anything else, that was just something to make sure of.. jmo Hope you find it.. ps if i'm wrong about the way the regulator works on that dodge please let me know, that how we learn, Thanks

Quick Reply: Problem really bad now