1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

My '95 2WD won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 AM
grettawiley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '95 2WD won't start

Newbie here.

My '95 with 91,000 mi won't start. It cranks hard but won't fire. I hear a clicking (relay?) under the dash or hood when the key is in the run position. It ran great last night, but nothing this morning.

I'm only a little bit of a car guy when it comes to diagnostics, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

Old 01-29-2012, 11:19 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by grettawiley
Newbie here.

My '95 with 91,000 mi won't start. It cranks hard but won't fire. I hear a clicking (relay?) under the dash or hood when the key is in the run position. It ran great last night, but nothing this morning.

I'm only a little bit of a car guy when it comes to diagnostics, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim
What engine, where do you live was it cold last night? Could the fuel line be frozen? Turn the key on off,on off on then read the flashes where it says check engine. Once you have flash codes you can go to facs and check what it is telling you, may be wrong. Even a small thing can keep it from starting properly.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:14 PM
grettawiley

Not too terribly cold last night, but it was below freezing. (Southern Minnesota)

Thanks for the tips. I'm out of town for a few hours, but I'll check it tonight.

Any ideas are always appreciated!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:05 PM
festerw
Veteran

Same thing happened to me last week, listen for the fuel pump running when you turn the key and test for 12v at the coil connector. If the pump runs and you have 12v replace the coil.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 PM
grettawiley

Well, I replaced the coil and nothing changed. Cranking but no starting. What's next down the line?

By the way, this is a '95, so it's too old to check the flasher codes. I wish I could drive it to the parts dealer to hook it to their computer, but I can't move it!

Old 01-31-2012, 01:46 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by grettawiley
Well, I replaced the coil and nothing changed. Cranking but no starting. What's next down the line?

By the way, this is a '95, so it's too old to check the flasher codes. I wish I could drive it to the parts dealer to hook it to their computer, but I can't move it!
Yes you can check for codes. Here is the link. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-96-codes.html

Old 01-31-2012, 08:09 AM
grettawiley

Thanks for the link. I'll check for codes again.

This is why I thought the flash codes were unavailable on this vintage:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Check Engine Light (CEL) Codes
Information gathered by SinCity R/T from www.dakota-durango.com- reproduced with permission from both websites.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2000 and newer Dakotas and Durangos have a built-in system that can display check engine light (CEL) codes without the use of a scanner. 1999 and earlier Dakotas/Durangos must be read with a scanner, check your local dealership or auto parts store for assistance.

To check your engine codes:
Turn the key to ON (not start), OFF, ON, OFF, ON and leave it there. If you look in the odometer window the codes will flash any code(s) with a small delay between each result. Each code should be in a P#### format, and will say PDONE when completed - turn your key to OFF and remove. Use the OBD code list to determine what problem the computer detected.

To reset your engine codes:
Remove the negative terminal of your battery (10mm wrench).
Turn your ignition key to START and hold it there for about 15 seconds.
Turn your ignition key to OFF and remove it.
Connect the negative terminal of your battery.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

What he is referring to by 99 and earlier is 99-97.
95-88? is OBDI which is readable by the flashes of the check engine light.
96 is OBDII but OBDI codes can be brought up by the flashes of the check engine light for ease of use.
97-99, I'm assuming there is nothing that can be done without a scanner.
2000-up will have the codes displayed

Old 01-31-2012, 01:54 PM
grettawiley

I tried numerous times this morning to see any flash codes on the check engine light. No luck. I was as careful as I could be to follow your instructions, but the CE light just didn't flash at all.

I may end up needing a tow after all. Yuck.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Sounds like possibly the PCM or the power to the PCM is shorted. The Notorious splice may be one possibility. Check the FAQ for a good write up on it with pictures.

Quick Reply: My '95 2WD won't start