1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How can i get a good exhaust note from my v6 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Meezyy Jayy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can i get a good exhaust note from my v6 ?

So i have a stock dak v6 auto and i have a thrush turbo muffler dumped before the rear axle and the turbo muff sounds good at low rpms but after 2500 rpms it sounds really weird, almost ricer. so what i really want to know is what will make it sound nicer and get a deep rumble, i know its a six beater but there has to be something i can do right?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:24 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

I've read about, heard about, and seen for myself more than once that those turbos really aren't very free flowing and I've seen a few actually bloated with holes blown in them haha so anything would be better. Personally, I don't like the Flowmaster sound, especially on a V6, so I won't recommend that. Everyone is gonna tell you this and its really the best idea, but search youtube for "V6 Dakota exhaust" and listen to different ones and decide what you like. I'd say whatever you choose, just throw a cheap glasspack in front of it to help get a deep rumble.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:32 PM
chickenfarmer

Don't do the 30 dollar advanced auto cherry bombs... That's what I did, and it's defiantly rice burner sounding

Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM
Meezyy Jayy
Rookie

so basically check out youtube and pick out what i want then go out and get a glass pack and stick that in front of the muff for a deep sound? sounds easy enough

Old 01-31-2012, 08:41 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Originally Posted by chickenfarmer
Don't do the 30 dollar advanced auto cherry bombs... That's what I did, and it's defiantly rice burner sounding
It's ignorance like this that gets people in trouble. Cherry Bomb is a BRAND with a LINE of mufflers, not just a glasspack with a ricer sound. Especially if done right. I believe they originally started with the glasspack thus the reason a majority of the people assume a cherry bomb is just a glasspack and vice versa. No offense though. But yes, find a sound you like and throw a glasspack in front to help create more of a rumble, growl, or deep tone. Of course, thats the easy way out...if you have the money, its best to invest in a full exhaust system while freeing up the intake among other things. That would help performance and sound a little more. If you decide to do what I said, I've heard it's best to have 12" of straight pipe before and after any muffler you put on. So if you do a glasspack and another muffler, I'd TRY to allow that much space between and before & after each one. It's possible on my truck but I have a fairly short muffler anyway.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 PM
SEPA92Dakota
Professional

My dad's got a S10 with a 4.3V6 and a Cherry Bomb glasspack, actually sounds pretty good. My 3.9V6 Dakota with a Flowmaster 44 (it was cheap) sounds good at idle-2300RPM, then 3000RPM-redline. It sounds ricerish in between there. Like Melody said just go on Youtube and search, there's plenty of videos to help you decide.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Meezyy Jayy
Rookie

well i live in alabama so i was going to cut off the cat and put a glass pack in place of it. and i was going to get some headers eventually. but since i have a 91 dakota it has the old LA block and it gives out 125 horses, that cant be good for sound even if i do all that can it?

Old 02-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a cherry bomb glass pack on mine , with the cat and it sounds pretty good to me. Still sounds like a v6 but imo its the only none gross sounding exaust set-up i could get out of the 3.9. I would definitely youtube it to get an idea.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:49 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to break your heart but you will NEVER get a V6 to sound like a V8. Regardless of whether it's a Dodge, Ford or Chevy or what brand muffler you put on it, with headers or without, or what size pipe you use, it's still going to sound like a pissed off bumble bee in the higher rpms. It's just the nature of beast.

This is what we call a 'roll steel' muffler made from 16ga steel rolled into a 6" x 26" hollow cylinder, caped off on the ends and then 2.5" nipples welded in the end caps for the pipe. I installed this one a '00 Dakota V6 I used to own and it was as close to the V8 sound as any I've ever heard but still had a little raspy sound in the higher rpms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmGvJEns6Vo

Old 02-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Meezyy Jayy
Rookie

well i know it wont sound like a v8 i just wanna remove the ricer, i have a 06 accord v6 and it doesn't sound ricer at all, it is no v8, it has its own sound but deff not ricer.

Quick Reply: How can i get a good exhaust note from my v6 ?