1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New member to site and looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 03:05 PM
tryin2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New member to site and looking for help

I have a 93 dakota 5.2L 8cyl that is my everyday work buddy .. and right now it is down for the count , with a no start condition.
I have gone through just about everything i can think of to fix the no start issue that i am having. So far in dealing with this, i have tried the following ..if you have any other ideas or knowledge in this matter please help..

I have ; checked the wire splice on the left front fender
checked and replaced coil
changed the crank sensor
changed the cam sensor

my battery died so i changed it out

i can roll it over but i have no spark at the coil ... can any one help me with my issue ...

thanks

tryin2

Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I will move your post the 1st Gen Dakota section. My first guess would be checking fuseable links, for the ASD relay.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 AM
kahanabob
Captain

turn crankshaft with distributor cap off, see if rotor turns, timing chain check? long shot!
does your distributor have a pick-up plate, if so maybe it's bad?
did it stop running all at once or was this a progressive issue?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM
tryin2

i did all that you said to see if the distributor turns when i turn the crank..and it does..

this all started when i came home, got in the driveway and shut it off and it never started again..

i checked the fusible link over to make sure it was ok ... i didn't find anything wrong with it ..

i replaced the pick up plate for a new one in the distributor as well .. i changed out the crank sensor on the bell housing ..

i may not have needed to change both of them but since they provide a reference voltage i wanted to make sure they were working .

i have been going over this for a long time and every time i change something out that makes sense to change .. there is no change in getting it to start.

Last edited by tryin2; 05-09-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 PM
93MissDakota
Professional

all u can do is keep trying to fig it out, it obviously ran before all this. if it was me i would go through every system possible

Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well you have to start with the basics. You said your not getting any spark right?
How about fuel, have you checked for correct fuel pressure at the rail?
Are your fuel injectors spraying?
Did you check to make sure you distributor is lined up at TDC on #1 cylinder?
Check for proper voltage at the PCM.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 PM
kahanabob
Captain

did you try pulling codes?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:35 PM
dodger8691
Professional

if your not getting spark at the coild it could be somthing simple as connections or a bad ground if it just shut off on you like that i would start at the coil and work your way back

Old 05-19-2012, 10:14 AM
tryin2

thank you for getting back to me guys
yes i have checked to see if the fuel pump is working and it is pushing fuel, so i know that its working i have voltage to that part of the system ..
i have voltage at all the fuses under the hood in the engine compartment . .. but my asd relay is not working proper though ... and from what i can gather with all the systems i have been working with it seems that it is all now looking like it might be the computer not allowing the engine to start ..
all the wiring is good ... all the components with the exception of the computer are now brand new ... unless i am missing something the only thing left is the computer to get it to start. i am thinking this because all the components give a refferrence voltage that the computer picks up and then its the computer that makes the asd relay allow a start ... am i correct on this or am i missing something else ... thanks for your input

Quick Reply: New member to site and looking for help