1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Ground Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:32 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by buick
I'd highly recommend soldering them as well. The vibrations/movement from the motor and travel can really loosen things up.

Also, did you replace your big three? 1) alternator positive to battery positive, 2) battery negative to chassis, and 3) engine ground to chassis

good write up on this upgrade

The absolute ground of your electrical system is not your neg battery terminal, but the case of the alternator. Assuming the alternator is properly bolted to the engine, your block to chassis ground is your most important ground. It's usually one of those pansy braided flat cables from somewhere lower down on the block to the chassis.
Not yet but will be soon enough, I will solder my new 1/0-G terminal. The only one I have touched so far is the negative to fender/body ground since that is where I needed the girth (grounding my amp(s) to the cab/body). The red wire is 4-AWG but today my 1/0-AWG came in (same exact cable I use on my positive for my stereo) along with a GOOD terminal for the negative to match my positive terminal (and gold plated fender terminal):
Name:  IMG_0709.jpg
Views: 4197
Size:  144.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0710.jpg
Views: 4155
Size:  126.4 KB

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 04-28-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally did the positive side and the problem came back but not as bad. It only lasted a day or two when I did the negative, maybe it has something to do with when I disconnect the battery? Computer reset or something?

Name:  IMG_0792.jpg
Views: 4257
Size:  371.5 KB

Quick Reply: Ground Problem!