1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Ground Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Ground Problem!

Ok where do I start... I decided the dinky ground wire connecting to the fender needed to be upgraded since I am running 1/0-Gauge positive amp wire. When I did so now the truck slightly bogs down in a pulsating rhythmic way but ONLY when I take off from a stand still and do so really slow barley touching the gas. Also sitting in park if I ever so slightly touch the throttle it will do it, otherwise once I'm past a certain low RPM (no tach) it completely goes away, or under that RPM like idling:
Name:  IMG_0657.jpg
Views: 7523
Size:  254.4 KB

So I used a piece of amp wire, well the new terminal I had is meant for a single wire centered. So I simply used a Dremel and grinded all the paint off the metal on each side of the centered wire divet all the way between the two clamp bolts, seems like it would work legit since it is now making a full contact?
Name:  IMG_0658.jpg
Views: 5048
Size:  233.7 KB

The ground wire going from the fender to the battery was literally the same thickness as that dinky wire running downward:
Name:  IMG_0660.jpg
Views: 7274
Size:  262.9 KB

I took the Dremel to ALL surfaces including the battery post, terminals ends, fender, etc then applied silicone electrical grease between all contacts...no luck. Is it possible the ground going to the fender has to be smaller than the one going to the steering pump mount?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I am going to move this to the 1st Gen Dak section. There/here will give you a more likely chance of getting an answer your questions.

Good luck!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:51 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
I am going to move this to the 1st Gen Dak section. There/here will give you a more likely chance of getting an answer your questions.

Good luck!
Thanks! I'm going nuts trying to figure this out haha

Old 04-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No it doesn't need to be smaller. I don't have a great explanation but maybe since you increased the negative maybe the positive side is weak. Or maybe it is just a coincidence.

Did you change the ground wire back to the small one to test your wire change theory?

Just to let you know I upgraded my Battery to fender cable as well. Also I threw one on to the frame rail.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 PM
JR318
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also upgraded my ground to the fender in hopes of not getting shocked anymore when i get out of my truck and touch any part of the truck on the outside. But i still get shocked lol. So if anyone can tell me how to keep the electricity in the truck and not in me that would be very helpful lol.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:20 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Oddly enough it cured itself overnight? No idea what happened. I think something needed to adjust to the higher current possibly? If I ground my amplifier to my cab wall which ground is it using more the fender or steering pump mount? Frame ground sounds like a good idea

Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 AM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
Oddly enough it cured itself overnight? No idea what happened. I think something needed to adjust to the higher current possibly? If I ground my amplifier to my cab wall which ground is it using more the fender or steering pump mount? Frame ground sounds like a good idea
Did you solder your wire terminals? If they're just crimped they could be slightly loose which might cause fluctuations in the current.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:55 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by buick
Did you solder your wire terminals? If they're just crimped they could be slightly loose which might cause fluctuations in the current.
Nope I cranked the living crap out of them in a vice.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:20 PM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
Nope I cranked the living crap out of them in a vice.

I'd highly recommend soldering them as well. The vibrations/movement from the motor and travel can really loosen things up.

Also, did you replace your big three? 1) alternator positive to battery positive, 2) battery negative to chassis, and 3) engine ground to chassis

good write up on this upgrade

The absolute ground of your electrical system is not your neg battery terminal, but the case of the alternator. Assuming the alternator is properly bolted to the engine, your block to chassis ground is your most important ground. It's usually one of those pansy braided flat cables from somewhere lower down on the block to the chassis.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 PM
tndakman
Rookie
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

@ JR318 You might try holding to the metal portion of your door as you exit. Without turning loose of the door before closing it, make sure you are 'in touch' with Mother Earth. Sometimes this will discharge the build-up of static electricity.

Quick Reply: Ground Problem!