1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Still can't get transfer case removed

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 PM
rbhb2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Still can't get transfer case removed

Help!!! I removed the torsion bar and followed the advice of nextlevel in this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...e-removal.html and still can't get the transfer case out. I need about 3/8" to 1/2" more before the studs will allow me to rotate the case. Any other suggestions? I am considering cutting the studs but then how will I get the replacement transfer case back in? Is it possible to push the transmission/engine forward a bit? How would I do that? It's a 1995 with automatic transmission. The truck is still strong so I don't want to give up on it but this is getting ridiculous! Thanks, rbhb2

Old 06-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My best guess is the weight of the transmission and transfercase is fighting you. Try to jack up the transmission just to stabilize it, then maybe jack up the transfercase just slightly to relive the weight of the transfer case off of the transmission.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:08 PM
rbhb2

Thanks for the quick reply. The transmission was supported. I tried raising and lowering the transmission up as far as it would go and every position in between and could manhandle the transfer case. No luck.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Post up some pictures.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

mine was a bugger too. loosen the transmission mount and Jack up the rear of it as much as you can, then push the lower side (left side) of the transfer case forward as far as you can while rotating it counterclockwise and pushing it away from the studs. its quite a task, but doable...

Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 PM
rbhb2
Default Update and another question

Well, I was able to finally get it out. I ended up using a come-along by wrapping the cable around the transmission mount and leading it forward under the engine to the hitch on another truck. The 3/8" made the difference but it was still a royal PITA.

After removing the transfer case I noticed that the input gear shaft on the one I took out is 3/4" longer than the replacement. Both are 231D's but the build date on the one I took out was 9/24/94 and the salvage unit's build date is 1/16/96. Is that gonna cause a problem? Thanks, RBHB2

Here is a pic:

Attached Thumbnails Still can't get transfer case removed-img_3623_1_1_1.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

If I remember right the transfercase that came on the automatics use a longer input shaft vs the ones that came with manuals. The input shafts are interchangeable.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:38 AM
rbhb2
Unhappy Got it in but still have question on seals

Thanks for your advice. Well, I got it in. What a difference the short input shaft made... 1000times easier. But here's the problem: I have had a serious drip coming from the transmission to transfer case joint. I know it was coming from the transfer case because I had not refilled the transmission. I had filled the transfer case to the bottom of the top fill hole while the truck was on the ramps and the torsion bar was unassembled. After I reinstalled the torsion bar ATF started dripping (as the truck raised). I had only put in about a quart and a half and it seems about a quart dripped out. It stopped dripping then started again after I took the truck off the ramps. It stopped again until I ran it around the block and a few more ounces dripped out. It starts dripping every time I test run the truck but stops after a while. Unless this is normal I must have bunged up the new seal. Anybody have an idea if it is normal to drip like that? Can anybody tell me the proper procedure for installing seals? I don't look forward to pulling the T-case again. Do you agree that I must have screwed up the seal?

Quick Reply: Still can't get transfer case removed