1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 Dakota questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 AM
lblair04
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Dakota questions

Hey guys,

I just bought a 95 2wd dakota with the 3.9. My buddy bought my truck for a more reliable truck (I was trying to get away from a payment) and I paid him $750 for his. The engine was rebuilt at 130k miles and the truck currently has 225k. This will not be my daily driver, as I have a corolla for the gas mileage. This is just a truck for when I need a truck.

I have a few questions. It runs good, but has a little bit of a rough idle. Im going to do a tune up and was wondering what spark plugs to use. I will do plugs, wires, pcv, fuel filter, dist cap + rotor and air filter. Are these engines tempermental to certain parts for tune ups?

Seeing as the truck has 225k miles (unknown in trans was rebuilt) should I go ahead and do a new trans filter and fluid (only drop the pan, no flush) or should I leave it? I had a 00 Ram in the past and the trans went out, so I would like to at least change the filter, but fear there might be gunk in there thats keeping it going haha. The fluid is pink, but no telling when the last time the filter was changed.

The rear diff is leaking, so I need to address that. Which fluid should I use? Synthetic or conventional? 75w90?

Lastly, the brakes need some attention as the front shakes when slowing down from highway speeds. How difficult are the rotor/hub assemblies to replace? I have only ever done the regular rotors that just slide off.

Keep in mind this is not a daily driver, but I would like it to run/drive for a bit longer for when I need it. I dont need performance stuff, just the brands/part numbers that work well.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 AM
93MissDakota
Professional

well they recommend on here autolites, in the FAQ, i am running the best single prong ngk right now and they are great. 80w90 in the rear end is what i did. the brake stuff is all pretty easy to do. and the auto trans filter would always be a good idea. i got all premium ignition parts from napa. Napa Echlin brand on everything but the plugs.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:32 AM
keilkravec
Veteran

if it is vibrating ALOT whenever your on the brakes, your control arm bushings are shot. having to deal with that myself on my 93. its a pain since they have to be pressed in >.<

Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 AM
lblair04
Veteran

Originally Posted by keilkravec
if it is vibrating ALOT whenever your on the brakes, your control arm bushings are shot. having to deal with that myself on my 93. its a pain since they have to be pressed in >.<
Yeah, it vibrates quite a bit. Mainly going from highway speeds and slowing down. Going around town and stuff, it doesnt vibrate when I step on the brakes. How do I check my control arm bushings? Is there a trick to press them in myself, or easier to just take it somewhere?

Old 08-02-2012, 07:42 AM
JR318
Veteran

If you can afford it then Napa is the the next best to dealer parts. Also rockauto has good parts and low prices if you can wait for it to be shipped. I use autolite plugs that are one step colder in my truck and it helps with throttle response. I dont think the rotor/hub assy is hard to change out just have to be patient. For brakes not sure what everyone uses but ceramic pads have always worked good for me.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:49 AM
JR318
Veteran

ALso if you want to change the fluid in the trans it may be best to have it completely flushed. Ive heard of people changing the filter and end up burning up the trans cause of the gunk. So to be safe have it flushed out completely with a machine so you know the fluid is not gunked up.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 AM
keilkravec
Veteran

It's a matter of opening the hood and looking right at them honestly. If you know what the control arms look like you cant miss them. If the bushings look flat or smashed or overly deteriorated, or even just gone (my case)..then they probably need to be replaced.

As far as doing them yourself...cant really say as i had just the driver side replaced and it cost me $230 in labor for an $11 part from advanced auto. I bought my second set to do my passenger side myself, but honestly not sure if a can use a C-Clamp to press them in or not.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:39 AM
dchoran
Amateur

IB,

We should keep in touch!!! I also have a 95 2WD Dakota V6 auto. 85M mi.

But I have a strange tranny issue: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...overdrive.html

Maybe I need a flush and filter like you talked about???

Dave H. Appleton, WI

Old 08-05-2012, 12:35 AM
lblair04
Veteran

I am leery about a full blown flush for the trans. I have heard horror stories about people doing a flush on a high mileage trans and it went out shortly after. Is that not the case with these transmissions?

Old 08-09-2012, 01:18 AM
lblair04
Veteran

Couple more issues/updates:

-I replaced plugs, dist cap/rotor, pcv, crankcase breather and air filter but I still get a slight "miss." It isn't horrible at idle, but when I rev it to around 1100 rpm, I can feel it shake a little. It also shakes a little when accelerating.

-Passenger window goes down/up VERY slow.

-Drivers side door won't unlock 100% when trying from the outside with a key (I have used another key also.) The key will unlock it about 90% of the way, but not all the way to completely unlock it and let me open the door.

-The vibration I have been feeling up front makes the brake pedal pulsate. I just bought a manual to locate the control arm bushings (have never had to touch them on other vehicles.) I am wondering if me being able to feel it pulse in the brake pedal, it could be the brakes over the control arm bushings?

-I decided not to drop the trans pan and replace filter/fluid due to the miles on the transmission. Does anyone else have opinions on a filter/fluid change with 224k miles and not sure when it was changed previously?

Thanks ahead of time.

Quick Reply: 95 Dakota questions