1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1995 Dakota dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Dakota@aloss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Dakota dies

I have a 1995 Dakota SLT 5.2, and the trucks runs like a champ down the road and pulls just fine. However, when at a stop and I press on the gas just a little, the truck acts like it is going to die and most of the time it does die. It does not matter if it is in forward or reverse. However, it does it more when pulling a load. It is the biggest problem when I am attempting to back a boat in or parking a camper. It starts right back up every-time. I changed a TPS as it looked like the same problem another member was having. It did not fix my problem. I ran the codes and the only thing I got was something I never seen (tmg temp-58). Please give me some ideas of things that I could try. Thanks for any help

Old 09-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You might want to double check your code. A vacuum leak or a bad EGR or a bad MAP sensor can cause the hesitation issue you have.

I will move this to the 1st generation Dakota sub-forum.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM
ZacoWacko

Mine is doing the same thing. I changed plugs, wires, distributer cap and rotor, and cleaned my IAC. Still doing the same thing. I pulled an ignition coil from a junk yard to see if it would get better and that coil must have been bad, cause then it died constantly. I don't know if it is my coil, but i may try that next and then probably the EGR. Do you have a code reader?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 AM
ZacoWacko

Funny thing is, i just called the dealer for the coil yesterday and he said he couldn't find one. Thought that mopar must have quit making it ?! I was like, ok really?

Then someone said that AC/Delco part took place as OE part or something. So i am currently trying to find an OEM IC, since the dealer is useless. Don't want cheap parts store IC, had that experience on older vehicle. Was good for like 3 months

Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

parts stores have several different price points; get a good well known name brand like NAPA/Echlin or BWD or STANDARD and you will be just fine.
I have been quite disappointed with OEM parts the last 2 times I have gotten them...
Rotors for my Cherokee// Made in China> had same part number as parts store cheapies stamped into the edge for double the price; clockspring for same Jeep came from Taiwan and I went directly to the damn dealer to get them and yes the boxes did say "MOPAR" on them so I will not make that mistake ever again. if I'm not gonna wind up with American made I ain't gonna waste the money on paying dealer prices

Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 AM
ZacoWacko

Originally Posted by volaredon
parts stores have several different price points; get a good well known name brand like NAPA/Echlin or BWD or STANDARD and you will be just fine.
I have been quite disappointed with OEM parts the last 2 times I have gotten them...
Rotors for my Cherokee// Made in China> had same part number as parts store cheapies stamped into the edge for double the price; clockspring for same Jeep came from Taiwan and I went directly to the damn dealer to get them and yes the boxes did say "MOPAR" on them so I will not make that mistake ever again. if I'm not gonna wind up with American made I ain't gonna waste the money on paying dealer prices

Well hell, that might be why the dealer told me to look at Advance. He knows the contracted the part out to crap vendor.

How about Delphi, also AC/delco shows up at Orielly's. BWD is ok? I thought the were not good? Richporter shows up at Advance. Any feedback on them, never heard of them. Only ask, because they are a little more expensive.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 AM
ZacoWacko

How about this guy? Sorry not trying to thread jack.

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

MSD is typically a high quality brand. But for some reason the coils for Magnum engines are very low quality and usually fail quickly. Mine died after 3-4 months.

Some say the Accell coils are the same. I had mine on for 3-4 years, with no problems. But swapped it out for a OEM 5.9 coil just to be on the safe side.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 PM
ZacoWacko

Maybe i will just go with a BWD and keep the one that is on there now in the toolbox, it will at least get me home if the BWD dies.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran a bwd coil. it lasted 3 years then started causing problems.

Quick Reply: 1995 Dakota dies