1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Not my area of knowledge- Camshaft.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:17 AM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keilkravec
Well I guess that settles me in then. I'll run the cam you suggested as there isn't a whole lot else I would have to do, probably need lifter and rods as well since the motor has around 80k or so on it.

You DO NOT have to replace rods with a cam exchange, only if they are out of tolerances. There are no gasoline cams that are effective between idle and 5,500 rpm. A cam (for gasoline engines) will give you a peak area of about 2000 rpm, so figure your cruising rpm and choose a cam that is ideal about 200 to 400 rpm above that (for 80% driving). If your wanting a lopey cam, forget about it on a daily driver. If your going offroad ect., you want a shorter duration, but high lift, if your wanting a racing style (ie track) then you want higher lift long duration, there are tons of info ABOUT CAMS READILY AVAILABLE ONLINE. What a guy tells you in a forum is not good sense. Contact the manufacturers directly, and see what they have to offer for your specific needs. Remember, asked the source, not the enthusiast. If your concerned with quality, then ask a forum.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:23 AM
keilkravec
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was going to just throw money at it and expect the world from it I wouldn't ask for opinions on here >.> I ask since I know alot of the guys here have done this stuff before and can give good advice and save me a headache and from wasting money.

Quick Reply: Not my area of knowledge- Camshaft.