1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

5 speed swap parts list....

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 AM
DakotaRT1993
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, kickdown cables are only for Automatics and I'm not sure on the A535/NV2500 but there will probably be no external linkage for the shifter (just bolts right on to the top of the trans).

All you should need is:

-Trans (includes bellhousing, may want to get the bolts too)
-Clutch assembly (clutch disc, pressure plate, TO bearing, slave cyl., fork, etc.)
-Flywheel
-Pedal assembly w/ clutch master cylinder
-Shifter and boot, as well as any interior trim for it that you want
-Driveshaft
-Trans mount and maybe even the crossmember but they should be the same

A few things you may want to note... you may want to buy a new pilot bearing as well as a new clutch kit (like SEPA suggested) because it comes with a pilot tool, which is sold seperate if you're tight on money, and it will make your life so much easier when installing the trans. Plus remember to change out the fluid in the trans before you install it and check for metal shavings.

Last edited by DakotaRT1993; 11-26-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 AM
Dakotaboy87
Professional

Originally Posted by DakotaRT1993
Well, kickdown cables are only for Automatics and I'm not sure on the A535/NV2500 but there will probably be no external linkage for the shifter (just bolts right on to the top of the trans).

All you should need is:

-Trans (includes bellhousing, may want to get the bolts too)
-Clutch assembly (clutch disc, pressure plate, TO bearing, slave cyl., fork, etc.)
-Flywheel
-Pedal assembly w/ clutch master cylinder
-Shifter and boot, as well as any interior trim for it that you want
-Driveshaft
-Trans mount and maybe even the crossmember but they should be the same

A few things you may want to note... you may want to buy a new pilot bearing as well as a new clutch kit (like SEPA suggested) because it comes with a pilot tool, which is sold seperate if you're tight on money, and it will make your life so much easier when installing the trans. Plus remember to change out the fluid in the trans before you install it and check for metal shavings.

Ok thanks for the clarification. Appreciate. I will update everyone on the swap when I get the parts this weekend.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 AM
moparmoparmopar

I highly recommend the NV3500 if availability and price are with you. It's a workhorse, reliable, hard to tear up, has plenty of torque, and a good application for a gofast pickup truck. It's got 300 ft. lbs. of torque and gear ratio specs. are as follows: 1st. 3.49, 2nd. 2.16, 3rd. 1.40, 4th. 1.0, 5th. .073, and reverse 3.55. It also might be a good choice for your retrofit as all linkage, forks, etc. are internal. This trans. will mount up to either a 3.9L or 5.2L engine. One way you can distinguish this trans from others is that the bell housing is integral to the trans. housing and therefore not removeable. I bought my first Dakota new, a 1995 5.2L 5 speed, at 26 yo, drove it for work and pleasure, ran against a couple of Mustangs and Camaros with pleasing results, hauled a trailer for work 3 days a week and still managed better than a quarter million miles on the original clutch. I only mention this because, upfront, you might spend more on the NV3500, but longevity, durability, and thrills should be your reward.

Quick Reply: 5 speed swap parts list....