1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Hard top removal kit. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 04:47 PM
BigTank
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard top removal kit. Thoughts?

So, i am thinking about doing a hard top conversion kit to my 94 extended cab, has anyone done this or known anyone that has done this? Good product? Any thoughts?

I found this particular kit.

http://www.airbagit.com/Ratical-Conv...rat-dk8700.htm

Anyone know of other products like this that i can check out?

I am open to ideas, yes or no. I want it to be a good product, and will probably have it professionally done. Since i don't have the proper tools...

Thanks!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think that is conversion kit. It appears to be a replacement top for the factory convertibles.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:56 AM
BKCowGod
Professional

Actually, looking at the website it appears to be a convertible conversion.

That said, with the exception of a few coachbuilt conversion kits (Bentley, Rolls Royce, ASC McLaren Capri), I have never seen a convertible conversion that really took into consideration just how important the roof was for maintaining structural integrity. Unless this is gonna be a show truck or just a smooth road boulevard cruiser, I think you're gonna have a significant increase in body flex.

But that's just me. I'd look into the factory convertible Dak and see what they did to maintain the rigidity of the truck, then see if this kit does anything along the same lines.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:05 PM
BigTank

Originally Posted by BKCowGod
Actually, looking at the website it appears to be a convertible conversion.

That said, with the exception of a few coachbuilt conversion kits (Bentley, Rolls Royce, ASC McLaren Capri), I have never seen a convertible conversion that really took into consideration just how important the roof was for maintaining structural integrity. Unless this is gonna be a show truck or just a smooth road boulevard cruiser, I think you're gonna have a significant increase in body flex.

But that's just me. I'd look into the factory convertible Dak and see what they did to maintain the rigidity of the truck, then see if this kit does anything along the same lines.
Looking at the instructions, it appears that it is just a hack job, by cutting the cowl behind the windshield, and below the rear window. and adding seals and clamps for re-attaching it... so i dont know, i would think, since its a framed truck, that it wouldnt matter much, but i dont quite know Again, if done at a shop, i think it would be ok...

Old 06-19-2013, 11:03 PM
BKCowGod
Professional

Trust me, even with a body on frame, you will notice a difference if you remove a major structural component... They even noticed significant improvements when they switched to a bonded rear window in the '95 models. The question is if that matters for your uses of the truck.

Again I would recommend finding one of the factory convertibles and seeing what they did to reinforce the cab to compensate for turning it from an O to a U (L?)

Old 06-20-2013, 01:46 PM
BigTank

Originally Posted by BKCowGod
Trust me, even with a body on frame, you will notice a difference if you remove a major structural component... They even noticed significant improvements when they switched to a bonded rear window in the '95 models. The question is if that matters for your uses of the truck.

Again I would recommend finding one of the factory convertibles and seeing what they did to reinforce the cab to compensate for turning it from an O to a U (L?)
I do agree with you, but think about this, wouldn't they have thought of that before designing this product? I would say its safe enough.

And on top of that, i am not using it as a utility in any sense, it's just a daily driver, i don't haul or tow.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:03 AM
BKCowGod
Professional

If you want proof that aftermarket modification companies sometimes cut corners or don't think things through, just find a Honda Civic that has been "customized" with parts off eBay. I love watching ricers on cheap "race coilover" suspensions bouncing all over the road because they bought improperly designed aftermarket parts.

That said, do what you wanna do... I'm just suggesting a bit of research beforehand. Dodge already did the hard work for you when they made a factory convertible. Find out what they did to stiffen the cab on this thing, then see if the conversion you're looking at does any of that.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

I did a 'chop top' on an old Fiero. Reinforced the space frame with an x frame made of 1x2 rectangular tubing. Something you could do on a Dakota frame without too much problem, I'd think. You need to be able to cut and weld steel.

As for the kit, the only part that they showed close up (that I could see) was the latches and they looked terrible--cheap and nasty looking. But you could get some latches off an old K-car convertible (what I did with the Fiero.) And you'd want to reinforce the removeable roof with 1x1 inch steel tubing (to keep it from eventually getting so warped that it would never fit.)

Would I do it? Never in a million years. At least not on anything I cared about. And if I did, I'd want to reinforce like crazy--especially the area around the top of the windshield--the tendency with a chop top is to grab the middle of that area to pull yourself up and it only takes one time to break the window.

Actually cutting the top off is a DIYer job. Use a Sawzall with a metal blade. Use a metal cutting circular saw blade to cut your steel. Rent a Oxyacetylene torch to bend reinforcing steel to proper shape for the windshield area, and a mig for welding the x-frame and other reinforcing frames.

But to tell the truth, you would end up regretting f***ing up your truck, imho.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:03 PM
BigTank

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
Would I do it? Never in a million years. At least not on anything I cared about. And if I did, I'd want to reinforce like crazy--especially the area around the top of the windshield--the tendency with a chop top is to grab the middle of that area to pull yourself up and it only takes one time to break the window.
I agree, It's starting to lok like much more hassle and effort than i wish to spend... I think i will drop it.

Thanks for the input guys!

Quick Reply: Hard top removal kit. Thoughts?